Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Bi-pod question

Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 PM

Default Bi-pod question

I'm looking to put a bi-pod on my rifle but don't know what size to get. It's for sitting on my butt while at a calling stand. What size do i need to consider and also, would shooting sticks be a good idea rather than a bi-pod? Thanks!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bi-pod question

Sit next to a chair with your gun up on the seat. Start stacking books on the chair until it gets to the heighth that you need. Measure and then add three to four inches so when you are on a hill you have a little heighth still.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, the only trait that a bi-pod offers that is better than what a good set of sticks offer, is the fact that sticks can't be left behind, they go where the rifle goes.
Once a guy uses sticks and gets used to them, rarely will he go back to a bi-pod for calling predators. If I were sitting, or laying, and shootnig targets that don't move or don't move much, then I'd pick the bi-pod fixed on the rifle.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Who makes a good pair of shooting sticks?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several on the market. I like the sticks that simply cradle the gun, such as the Sniper Stix. Any of them that don't attach to the gun.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

for what its worth, you can make your own sticks either out of dowl rods, PVC tubing, or a thin walled aluminum or steel and it would cost you less than buying a set. I have a set made out of dowl rods and set out of PVC tubing, spent less than $5 on both sets.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Spike

In my opinion Harris bi-pods are the way to go. The are built very well and mount to the gun in a matter of seconds. They make them in different sizes.I just put one on my gun that goes from 13" - 27". I'm 6'4' and when I'm sitting on the ground its at the perfect height. I think mine is model
#25C-S. There not cheap. I paid $119.00 . Do a search on the internet. I dont think you'll find any disappointed people. I found them the cheapest @ Ultimate arms. I placed the order (by phone) on Monday and it was deliveried on Wednesday. Hope that helps.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

I have a caldwell bipod that works great but I dont use it to predator hunt,bipods are harder to move around than shooting sticks,if I carry anything coyote hunting it's a set of shooting sticks that I made out of cane poles.Cane poles dry out hard and nearly weightless comraped to wood due to the fact they are hollow,I use my bipod for deer hunting since deer are usually not moving as fast as a coyote coming to the call.Good Luck!!