Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Setting up on yotes???

Old 12-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Setting up on yotes???

I take scent control very seriously, not saying I buy all the high dollar garments on the market, but everything including myself smells like fresh earth scent. I've had 8 pt bucks within 2 yds of my tree this year, the doe I killed earlier this month came from downwind of me while it was blowing around 15-20 mph and I was only 12-13 feet off the ground. She got within 12yds right infront of me before I took her. I pride myself on being scent free and taking good care of my gear being free of foreign odors as well. And I know a coyotes' sense of smell is greater than that of a deer, so Im taking this aspect serious. As for the set up, maybe its just me being too analytical, but in my head, setting up I worry about them coming from behind me where I dont see them until its too late. I've heard that can happen. And here in Indiana, we dont have the rolling fields and open areas like places west of here. At least where I hunt we dont have that. So I figure they are in the woods and would come out to any calls. I guess it boils down to having to break a few eggs to make the omelette. I know I wont have instant success, I dont expect to, I just want to be on the right path to becoming a successful caller and hunter of coyotes. Just seeing them come in on videos gets me worked up. To me, thats a step in the right direction for success, you're obviously doing something right.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Well you are right,as far as having a dog come in from behind you,,,if you hunt long enough you will get back-doored, it's part of the deal. Just be ready to not be ready for what will happen sometimes.

As far as scent control, I think it's all in the wind. With the products on the market now, you can fool a deer into thinking you are 400yds. away, when your 40yds away, but you won't do that to a coyote.

Just because you don't see anything does'nt mean you did'nt call anything in. No matter what type of ground you hunt, or what the conditions are, sometimes all you can see is a set of ears, or a flash of a tail.

Most of all learn from your mistakes, don't sacrifice safety, kill dogs, and have a blast doing it.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you are on the right track,and you cant always tell where they are going to came from,I have snuck in and set up on a feild edge got ready and started calling and have one stand up in the feild,where he was laying sunning about 200 yards across the feild in about knee high grass.I would have give you ten to one odds that he would have came from this thicket in a low lying area beside the field on the oppisite end from where he was,but I would have loss that one,and they will sometimes get behind you and do the flyby at 100mph and not much you can do to stop it from happening,you can sometimes get a backend shot and kill them.Good Luck!!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, all this info is very helpful.