Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Trail cam pic...need help identifying... >

Trail cam pic...need help identifying...

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Trail cam pic...need help identifying...

Old 04-06-2003, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trail cam pic...need help identifying...

it doesnt look like a dog. its a couger. if you dnt have any around there and other people spotted it too then thats what it is. prb the same one too. scence the gnf are that sure that there are not any of them left that has to be the only one.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:07 AM
Matriarch Doe!

We have plenty of cougar around here and that' s what it looks like to me.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

That is definitely a cougar. You can kinda see the 3 foot tail that is about 4-6 inches in circumference. It' s hard to see. I' ve seen cougars up close and that is what it is. Take the photo to the Game and Fish people and see what they say. If they say it' s not a cougar then there is something wrong with them or they don' t want to look stupid because they tell everyone that there is no cougars where you live.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:23 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Like BrushChimp said, that tail is a dead giveaway. Definately a mountain lion. Not surprised that the DNR says no way, I' m sure they don' t want people to know they are in the area, they will deny it as long as they can. We have alot of them here in western SD and the Game and Fish downplays it every chance they get.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, everybody....its unanimous, which is what I was hoping for (sort of). On the one hand, I think its really cool to have this animal in the neighborhood that I hunt in (private land), but on the other hand I dont want anybody else to know where it is. For one thing, I dont think I want G&F snooping around out there looking for it, and I also dont want the locals out hunting it either. I' d like for this lion to survive and trive out there, but I also know that sooner or later somebody is probably going to kill it...its just not remote enough out there for it to survive for long. There is a wildlife management area nearby, which I' m betting is where it came from, so here' s hoping its gone back there.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scrider, that' s most definately a cougar. With the white underbelly coloring and the tan color, and also the long tail.

I do find it surprising though since you' re in or around Little Rock. There' s supposedly some up in the hills above Russellville. I' m sure we have some in the state, but they' re far and few between. Don' t let it be a problem. If it starts to cause trouble...I' d take that pic to the AGFC.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

Hey, FroMan....thats interesting...this pic was taken at my hunting property which is somewhere between LR and Russellville. I was also told today that there is supposedly a drive-through safari place within a couple dozen miles of my land that keeps big cats (tigers, leopards, etc.)..have you heard about anything like that in the North Central Arkansas area? I' m wondering if it might be an escapee.
Thanks,
SC
Old 04-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scrider...how far is your place from Conway? I' m at school here right now.

Arkansas' s Safari Park is located around Greenbrier, just right down the road from here. Not sure if it' s still up and running.

Here' s the info for it...it may just be a wild lion. There' s some up in the Ozarks. This one just may have wandered a little further southeast. Hope this helps. If you get any more cam pics, let us know. It' s a great, rare picture.

Safari Park

An exotic wildlife conservatory with lions, tigers, bears and more in natural habitats. You can drive through in your car or walk through certain park areas.
Ark. 285 and U.S. 65 N.
501-679-3455

Old 04-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info, FroMan...I' d rather not be any more specific about where my place is. I' m sure you understand. I left the cam in the exact same spot hoping to get some better pics of this thing...if I get them, I' ll post them here.
Later!
SC
Old 04-09-2003, 05:11 PM

Hey great pic. A couple of years ago some people near me had a cougar for a pet and after it got be too much of a burden to keep, they released it in the wild[X(]Maybe some idiots did the same down there.

Quick Reply: Trail cam pic...need help identifying...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.