Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyotes with .22?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:26 PM

Default RE: coyotes with .22?

Dude do you want me to go out and shoot thecoyotes for you too???

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=73316< #4 buckshot

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=72878< 00 buck shot
Old 12-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone hunts for their own personal reasons. The hunter's heart is a complex thing and I don't think I've ever heard it explained fully because I don't think it's possible to do so. It's something that has to be experienced to be understood. Most things in this day and age are able to be explained fully and understood, the reasons why people hunt isn't one of them. It's an instinct that predates modern terminology. The kill is certainly part of the hunt and cannot be removed from the hunt, or it wouldn't really be hunting as we know it. But, eventhough the kill may be the end result of the reasonfor the hunt, it's not the main reasonwhy most people choose to hunt. The experience of being a participant in nature and not only an observer is what most people think of when they ponder the reasons why they actually hunt, with the successful hunts being nearly an afterthought. After all, for most, we've learned more from the "one that got away" than we did from the ones we just got lucky on. And it's because of that fact that the measure of a hunter isn't mearly a "body count", but something less tangible. The knowledgethey have aboutthe game they hunt, the real world experience they have with that animal, their skill in tracking and scouting and over all dedication to their sport is a more true measure of a hunter.

I believe that for most, if you dedicate enough time and energy to become a hunter, it's nearly impossible to not see the big picture and recognize that each animal is a gift from God in their own way,and have a freedom that we cannot begin to understand and will neverreally be able to experience in our lives. Without humans (mainly hunters) taking an interest in animals and having an intimate knowledge of them, many would die out in short order, and without animals, us hunters would have nothing to hunt. It's the same relationship preditors and prey have had since the beginning of time, both need eachother to exist. For that reason alone (and for many more) animals at the very least deserve to be respected. But Sammy_Tat, you seemed to have missed that. Many people here will judge you because you view the kill as being the most enjoyable part of the hunt, and that doesn't represent the views of most other hunters. As long as you hunt legally, then no one here should judge you, just as you shouldn't judge others as being future members of a near terrorist organization just because they have a deeper experience, respect, and compassion for the animals they hunt. (End rant)

A .22 will work fine for coyotes but it sure isn't the best. I wouldn't say it's the best thing for a beginner yote hunter to start out with, but for an experienced hunter would be fine. For a beginner, I would pick the shotgun and a tight choke tube.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're determined to shoot yotes with shotgun,use nothing larger than #4 buck for pattern density and no smaller than T or #2 for individual pellet energy and stick within good patterning distance. They (federal) make special coyote loads which are perfect. Either shotgun or .22 will do the job within their effective distance.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jecole360

Dude do you want me to go out and shoot thecoyotes for you too???

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=73316< #4 buckshot

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=72878< 00 buck shot
sorry i couldnt find anything about prices......