Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Is it true you have to hunt in the winter? >

Is it true you have to hunt in the winter?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Is it true you have to hunt in the winter?

Old 09-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is it true you have to hunt in the winter?

You do not have to wait till the first frost to eat your kill...always inspect you kill for disease.

Your concern should beproper careand handling of yourmeat from field to table.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's one reason why it is always best to shoot a rabbit on the run instead of sitting still. If it is too sick to run fast, then you probably dont want to eat it.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: skb2706

I always been told to follow the small game hunting regulations of your particular state. That will determine when you can hunt. There is an inherent risk of small game animals having various ticks, mites and 'bugs' regardless of season. You should check them out 'anytime' you kill them.
What am I looking for? I can see where ticks burrowing into the skin and sucking blood might, but I just figured all animals had "bugs."
Old 09-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: jrbsr

ORIGINAL: johnnyHunts

I've always heard that you can't eat game you kill when it is warm or hotbecause they may have "bugs." I know that sounds funny. It does to me too, but is it true? Is it true there are small insects that Rabbits and Squirrels (and deer) that can hurt you if you eat the animal.

Thank you.
The bugs are called warbles.
They usely come out after the first frost.

Description and Distribution
Warbles are the larval stage of the botfly, which characteristically infect rodents and rabbits. They are found under the skin, usually around the legs and neck. They have also been reported from deer, cattle, cats, dogs, hogs, mules, mink, foxes and man. The adult botflies are large (20 mm or more in length) and dark blue or black with fine, dense hairs on the face, genae and thorax.
Only one genus, Cuterebra, is currently recognized from North America. Twenty-six species are known to occur in the U.S. and Canada. They are also found in Mexico and the neotropical regions. The taxonomy is poorly defined, and existing keys are for the most part inadequate for separation of the species.
In Michigan, warbles have been found in cottontail rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, house mice and white-footed mice. Undoubtedly, other mammals are infected as well. The parasites are usually not seen by the rabbit hunter since most of the warbles have dropped off before hunting season.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26354--,00.html
That's exactly what I couldn't remember. Thanks. I'll look into it some more. But in my state rabbit hunting is nov. 15, so they should be dead. I'm kind of scared to eat a squirrel though, August 15, and it's still very hot sometimes in the south at that time.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

"I'm kind of scared to eat a squirrel though, August 15, and it's still very hot sometimes in the south at that time."

People have been eating squirrels this time of year for centuries.........