Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

prairie dogs

Old 06-11-2008, 09:05 PM

Default prairie dogs

i'm planning a hunt to colorado. and had some ?'s. is there any good dog hunting on public land that you know, Do prairie dogs live in glassland and can you get shots at them. or do they just live in Ag areas.

Any help would be great

Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: prairie dogs

Which part of Colo. are you going to. There are two large public lands, one in the N.E. corner of the state and the other is in the S.E. corner of the state.
Priarie dogs live primarily in the open pastures/grasslands. They usually won't live in ag. ground because of the fact that the land gets tilled, and that deter's them. They will reside in hay fields such as alfalfa, and are really a nuissance to the farmers when they put up the hay.

If you're making a trip only to target priarie dogs, then WY. would be a much better choice. BUT if you're coming to Colo. to visit relatives, then you should be able to find some targets.

When are you coming? I might be able to show you some targets, if my schedule works out with yours.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: prairie dogs

Just spent the last two days shooting pds on the eastern plains of CO. Forget public lands, shoot the private stuff. I have never been turned down for permission to shoot them and have been more than welcome to come back.
Prairie dogs like short vegetation, minimal water and often extend their colonies out into winter wheat and stubble fields.
Most of the fields I shoot start out by giving me 100-200 yd. shots and by the time I am moving on they are out at 350 plus and far fewer of them.