Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Best .22 LR groundhog ammo?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Best .22 LR groundhog ammo?

Hey guys, I am finally going groundhog hunting, There are quite a few of them that live in a field just below my house. The gun I will be using is a mossberg/cbc .22 LR. Most of my shots would be between 15-30 yards, although my gun is accurate to about 50 yards. What in your oppinions would be the best ammo for groundhog hunting? I have a box of cci stingers, how would they do on some groundhog at 15-30 yards? Thanks,nc.hunter. ps. My .22 is semi-automatic.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best .22 LR groundhog ammo?

I've used quite a variety of .22 ammo for g-hogs. My favorite used to be Winchester 40 grain PowerPoints (hollow point). Lately I've been using CCI subsonic hollow-points - very accurate & quieter. If you're looking for ammo to go hunting, here's what I would look for:

1. Accurate in your gun - buy a couple different brands and find out what your gun likes

2. Hollow point - I'd for sure get a hollowpoint design instead of round nose.

Whatever you choose, I'd aim for the head whenever possible. The .22lr isn't always going to kill something as big as a groundhog instantly if you shoot it in the body. The stingers you have should do a number on them at the ranges you are talking about.