Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coons

Old 03-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Coons

My cousin skipped school for a week to go coon hunting and got 100 coons and 1 fox. His check was $1780. Not bad for a week.

I have gotten 200 all season. The last one I got I shot 4 times in the head with a 22 and he was still alive. I had to get him with the 22 mag to finish him off.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coons

pretty tough coons out in Ne. sounds like.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

all trapped or with dogs. 4 shots for 1 coon doesnt happen that often but the sad part is every shot decreases the pelt value. we run with dogs and i use a pistol, lets just say the pistol is getting retired for a very long time, lots of holes in our coons too. its just not accurate enough
Old 03-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

my cousinspotlights all of them, which is illegal, but it works for him when he gets 35 coons a night, it isn't hard to pay a 200 ticket. It is however, a little harder to get your guns and spotlights back.

The coon that I shot 4 times in the head was 35 lbs. the dogs treed him on a center pivot. most big coons i get take at least 2 shots with the 22 or 1 with the 22 mag, but this coon just didn't want to die. That is the only coon that took that many shots to kill, out of 230 this season.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

why wouldhe just blow past them regulations on spotlighting.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:24 PM

Your buddy matches the definition of a poacher, I don't like poachers, give all of us legitimate hunters a bad name.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it takes that many head shots to kill a coon, you are probably aiming too low. If you aim directly between the eyes you sometimes hit low and are really just putting the bullet thru the nasal cavity. An inch or so higher and it will be a dead coon no matter how big it is.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was going to say congratulations right until I read the illegal part...now I'm just going to call your cousina poacher.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:05 PM

I have noticed that to. when you catch them in a live trap and shoot them in the head with a .22lr they don't die very quickly.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats to your cousin being a poacher[:'(]

and lanse is right. i dont care if your shooting a 50lb coon. 1 22lr bullet in the head drops em EVERY time...unless they get stuck. lanse is right on. hit them in an eye, between the eyes, or between the ears and eyes and you got a stone cold dead coon period. bad shots, yes...coons will live and climb and get pretty mean. even good lung shot coons drop and fight with the dogs. usually takes a couple hits behind the shoulder to even get one to drop. then its a fight...i learned a long time ago to find the head and hit it. if the head is hidden, i make the absolute best shot i can and work the lever till im outta shells or the coon hits the ground...rather fill the pelt with holes than have a 2000$ dog get chewed up...

Quick Reply: Coons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.