Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

scraping it up

Old 02-27-2008, 07:59 PM

Default scraping it up

so i had made on earlier post anout wanting a predator rifle for around $200. i now have scrapped together some more money and can do 400-500. i was looking at the remington model 700 SPS varment. the website says it goes for like 600 but i think it would be cheaper in stores. any other suffestions.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: scraping it up

you could pick one up at a gun shop cheaper than that.You should look at savage or stevens guns also.Dont be afraid to get a used gun from a reputable gun shop,they will let you check them out good and around here we go out back and shoot them.With more money now you have lots of options,take your time and ask questions,most gun shop owners are very knowledgable on guns,I know some of them make you feel like they just want your money and they do,but a lot of their business comes from word of mouth,so a happy costumer that loves his new rifle will tell as many good things about him as someone who got a peice of junk will run him down.Take your time and feel of a lot of guns,find one that you like and check it out good.If you live near tennessee you can get some good deals on a local sales network,the website is www.golsn.com .Good luck.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Typical Buck

COYOTE68 ISNT STEARING YOU WRONG. SAVAGE OR STEVEN ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO IN MY OPINION!! I HAVE BOTH. IF YOU CAN AFFORD THE SAVAGE GET IT BUT IF NOT YOU WILL BE REAL HAPPY WITH THE SAVAGE!!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:58 AM

Go to the gun stores in your area and handle the rifles, don't pay any attention to the brand, caliper or price. When you find the one that shoulders naturelly and feels good as you bring it to point and as you hold it in a shooting position"finger off of the trigger. that is the one to buy. Even the same brand in the same caliber might not fit as well as another. Let this make your desition for you. Remember that a lot of rifles that cater to predator huntershave heavier barrels so don't buy one of these if you have long walks and have to shoot off hand. In the case of long shots a lot of practice off of a set shooting sticks will grant you better success. Most mager brands of rifle makers offer a good weapon but some or all may need some adjustments to get the best performance out of them. I have helped a lot of people sight in new rifles at the range and most had decent groupings. Remember to always know where the first shot from a cold clean barrel will go because it may be differant than all other shots. I have sighted in about all major brands and find that they are all about the same ofcoarse there are lemons in all brands and just hope you don't get one. Take your time and don't buy almost what you want but but what you want or need. If you do live in KY there is a gunshop in either Owensboro or Paduca that keeps all of its rifles out and encoureges you to handle them. Good luck and happy hunting.