Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

new to predator hunting

Old 02-12-2008, 05:34 PM

Default new to predator hunting

what is the best wat of predator hunting? i have lots of land withfield, bush, swamp, big ponds, every thing where is the best place to hunt fow, wolfes and coyots and whats the best method to hunt these animals?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:11 PM

Default RE: new to predator hunting

first of all setting up around any of these locations on your land will get you coyotes but you should do a little scouting first to see if the coyotes are in the area or if they've moved on. if there is an abondance of mice, rabbits, and small birds the coyotes should stay in the area but there is no promises.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Well I think the best way is to make them come to you. this tme of year coyote sounds are just as good as anything else, in the north anyway. In the morning try and keep the sun behind you and the wind in your face. try and stay in the shade, keep somthing in your background, and try not making any sounds getting set up. any of the spots you said can and do hold coyotes. Like I said coyote sounds work good in feb. march, so make some howeling or kiyi sounds to start. Say three sets 30 seconds long 3-5 min. inbettween. If you don"t see or hear anything, make some distress sounds, rabbit,deer, or cat works really good in some places. Just get out and try it.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Typical Buck

do some good scouting looking for tracks,or fresh scat it is easily identified it will be full of rabbit fur or other small animal fur,if you find this you know that coyotes are in the area.Look around the pond banks they drink water like all other animals and will leave tracks or some sign of their presence,if you have a fresh snow you can track them to their hangouts,but don't put to much pressure in these area's they will move on you,they are very sensitive to human invasion sometimes.Just get out and make some sets the worst you can do is see nothing.Time in the feild will let you know their location sooner or later,and then the place to setup will be easier to determine.Always try to get the wind on your side,set up so you can see the best,and so the wind will carry your scent out into open areas,because most of the time they will try to smell the sound source before they come in and this will bring them into your veiw for a shot.Most of all have fun.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:01 PM

last weekend i noticed that the colfes or coyotes or something with four legs dragged one of the deer i shot onto a pond behind my house and left it there. the deer was sitting in te bush for a few months and they just took it now for some reason
Old 02-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

yes this sounds like a coyote or stray dog,coyotes will eat a carcass even after it has ruined if they cant catch any food.I usually tie my deer kills to a tree or fence post to keep them from dragging it off,I live on a dead end road with no neighbors,and have killed 3coyotes and 2 bobcats off of a deer carcass from my front porch.You should be able to call up something in that area,coyotes will hang around an area where easy food is available,they will revisit this area until every bone and sometimes the hide is gone completely.Give it a try and let us know of your success,hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Hey cam, the breeding season is here now. They may have drug that deer off becouse tha"re not hunting as much as they normally would. I think they drag stuff off to where thay feel more safe. I have noticed thay usually pull stuff to an open area, like they have a better view of area. one more bit of advice, if you get out and do happen to kill a coyote. Don"t think it is game over, keep calling. Start with a kiyi, sounds like when you step on your dogs toe. Then back to distress, or what you were doing to get the first dog in. you would be suprised how many times you"ll see another dog.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:46 PM

ya I have to agree with coyote#68 on that one and yodeldog3 has a every true statement if you tie your carcasses off to a tree or a post you will get the coyotes in the area because this way they have to stay out in the open to eat insted of being able to drag the food off. and don't be suprised to see fox and bobcat eating off it.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

coyote61 is right,I have 100's of pictures of foxes,bobcats,coons,possums,coyotes,and everything else I even have a picture of a six point buck that stopped to investigate the remains of a deer carcass,if you have food they will come,the only bad thing is that most of the activity happens at night,I have no pictures of a fox in daytime,but coyotes and bobcats will make the mistake sometimes,I'm still waiting for my first fox.just get out and try it.have fun!!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Cam, you know depending on what state you live in, you can probeblly hunt the coyotes, or fox at night. there is laws in some state about what power lights and what you can shoot. Some states you can only use shotguns, but thats usually what you want anyway. You should go to your states DNR web site to scope it out.

Quick Reply: new to predator hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.