Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Distance between stands

Old 01-12-2008, 01:04 PM

Default Distance between stands

I am in New Mexico hunting coyote for the first time and was wondering how much distance I need to put between stands in this wide open region? Also,I am putting about twenty minutes in at each stand. Is this the right amount of time out here? Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 PM

Default RE: Distance between stands

That's about the right amount of time to stay on a stand. I usually stay about 20-25 min. As for distance between stands, it all depends on wind, terrain, did you get busted by a coyote, so on and so on. I like to put about .5 - 1.5 miles between stands depending on what I mentioned previously. Where about are you hunting in NM? I'm stationed at Cannon AFB just outside of Clovis, and hunt mostly around the cap rock, Floyd, Arch, and Roswell.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:15 AM

I am in Albuquerque right now and am hunting BLM land south by Socorro. I hear down south by Roswell is supposed to be great. I havent been lucky where I have been going but am going to give it one more go before I have to return home.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:14 AM

Yeah, I do pretty well around Roswell. There are just a lot of dogs all over this state. There are a ton of great places within an hour or so from Abq from what I here. The Gila Nat Forest is close enough to make a weekend out of, and I know that place is full pf lightly pressured, to unpressured dogs. The coyote hunting around here isn't bad, it's just hard to find a place where they haven't been called to very much. If you ever plan a trip down this way, pm me and maybe we can meet up for a hunt since I know a few places to go.