Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

COON

Old 12-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default COON

well i have had coon traps out all over lately. i ahve had them in fields i have had them at ponds i can't seem to even find tracts anybody else around easter ohio not having any coon in the area
Old 12-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: COON

could be the weather. the cold/snow usually keeps them denned up pretty hard. i hear of some trappers setting up right at the base of known den trees and setting multiple traps to get the whole crew of them at once...

im not a trapper, but run hounds...i know when its cold/snow on the ground, its hard to find a track...and it usually ends up being a den tree...here in PA were getting a little warm spell...might be a decint couple days for trappin...hunting with the hounds will still be tough with the moon...its real bright.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Spike

coon huntin in western ohio has been pretty slow all year. the first night we got 6. a couple were pushing the 30 pound make but we have not had much luck in the area
Old 12-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

A lot of trappers in Ohio are not having a good year because of low population for a variety of reasons.I trapped for a week at the start of the season and only caught one, and saw virtually no coon sign.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

i was told the other day that there was a fluke in the rabbies vaccene and that it killed tons of them but i just heard that don't know how true it is. i also know a guy that usually get about 200 a year n he has 7 so idk what happened in jefferson n harrison county but there are just no coon here

Old 12-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you join the Ohio Trappers Forum you can read some of the discussions of the low numbers and the reasons that some folks are giving. I'm in Illinois now trapping and have done much better over here.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have been having good luck in Iowa, treed 16 last night, personal record. They weren't small ones either, a couple 30 pounders, and early in the season we got a 40 pounder!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, they sure do grow 'em big up in Iowa. The numbers in southern Illinois are pretty good too. I've caught 21 coons in aboutten days downhere, compared to only 1 in a week in Ohio. However, my biggest is probably only about 15 pounds.
Apparently, the problem with coon numbers is only in Ohio, inless they are having problems in W.V., Pennsylvania or northern Kentucky too,