Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Hunting with children

Old 12-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting with children

I am going to be taking my 7 year old niece squirrel hunting over the Christmas break. She has been begging to come along with me and I am really excited to take her on her first hunt, but I'm a little concerned that she may get bored if we're not just shooting the lights out. I know some of you guys have kids and take them hunting, so I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to keep her attention and make it an experience she will want to try again. I'm thinking I am going to get her a pair of binoculars and let her do the "spotting" since she isn't old enough to hold a gun or shoot yet. I might also get her a squirrel call and let her bark on that. Okay, I appreciate any advice you have. Wish us luck.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:45 PM

Default RE: Hunting with children

Take the time to point out all of the small things in the woods to her that she might not notice otherwise, like deer tracks, lightning struck trees, coyote tracks, etc. Show her neat little tricks like how to find wich way is North, how to measure the height of a tree using shadows and sticks, and other things you were taught as a kid. If she likes wildlife, take along a pair of binoculars and look at all of the different kinds of birds that are in the woods. Also, make sure you are a good model of hunting safety. Chances are she will be watching your every move. If you do that and keep her from getting too hungry or thirsty you might have yourself a new hunting partner.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 12-20-2007, 08:14 PM

You could also bring a game boy in with her. It still entertains me whil hunting and I'm 18. I'm sure it would be suitable for a 7 old if it works for me. Just turn offthe volume.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:17 PM

Why do you say she isn't old enough to hold a gun? Take the time to show her how to handle a gun and shoot, it would be more fun for her to shoot squirrels and you tag along. I think I would leave the game boy at home. Here is my son a few years ago when he was seven.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

This is excellent advice, thank you.

Wiscoshooter, the gameboy is a good idea (something I need to try in the future to stay awake in the tree stand), but I would rather her focus on the hunt and the forestrather than something she can do at home. She watches a lot of tv, which I find nauseating, so I'm trying to show her there are better uses of time - such as being outdoors and enjoying Creation.

Sinocs, I would definitelylike for her to bring a gun, but I think she needs to shoot mine and watch me handle mine before I put one in her hands. But don't worry, I have a single shot .410 for her when she's ready. Also, the biggest reason of all, her mother (my sister) insists that she just watch this time. So I don't want to get in trouble and not be allowed to take her again. By the way, that is a beautiful buck your son has in that picture.

Allright guys, thanks again for the advice. I'll try to get some pictures on here of our new hunter when I get back in town.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:04 PM

Crowkilla,

Ya i would skip the gameboy what i do is just look for deer scrapes or rubs when im bored. Heres a GREAT tipbuy her a Air Gun like a Grizzly or Red Ryder and let her finish them off, you can get these cheep at a big box mart store. I like the Binoculars idea im 13 and i still need to get my own pair lol. I just bought a call and think thats a good idea, also what I got at my hunter safety class is a Nature Pocket Guide. I has information on most common North American Game Animals, tells where they live mostly and what there eating habits. Something I would also try to get cheep at the big box mart is maybe a fanny pack to carry snacks or items in. I hope that this information helps you have a good time with your niece!

Airsoft Dude
EDIT also the gameboy in the stand be carefull of the backlight shining on your face and a deer might see it early in the morning.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:43 PM

I used to take my PSP hunting with me until i forgot it was in the pocket on my treestand and hunted a really rainy day. It hasnt worked right since. Now i will take ahunting magazineor something to read through whyle im sitting there during the slow mornings and they cost alot less if they get rained on.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:05 PM

whoops, I thought he was talking about stand hunting deer. Must've forgot what forum I was in or something. If you were taking a young child deer hunting and don't expect to see something often, I would still bring in some form of entertainment, unless you want to risk turning them off to hunting right away. That's what happened to my brother and he never wants to go hunting anymore.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Crowkilla

I am going to be taking my 7 year old niece squirrel hunting over the Christmas break. She has been begging to come along with me and I am really excited to take her on her first hunt, but I'm a little concerned that she may get bored if we're not just shooting the lights out. I know some of you guys have kids and take them hunting, so I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to keep her attention and make it an experience she will want to try again. I'm thinking I am going to get her a pair of binoculars and let her do the "spotting" since she isn't old enough to hold a gun or shoot yet. I might also get her a squirrel call and let her bark on that. Okay, I appreciate any advice you have. Wish us luck.
Guys,

I just just got back in town and wanted to give you an update of mysquirrelhuntwith my 7 year old niece that I mentioned last week.

We went out on the morning of the 22nd. She got up and was ready to go at 4:30. We got out there and set up in a river bottom before first light. We sat and sat and, to my amazement, didn't see a single squirrel. We got up and statrted walking for a while. We saw coyote, deer, and raccoon tracks. We then came upon a depression in some brush and I explained to her that this was where a deer had been bedding, most likely a buck considering the terrain, cover, and the fact that it was alone. Sure enough, about 50 yds from the bed was a perfectly fresh scrape with the prints still in it. I explained its purpose and how it was made. She was mildly grossed out, but was amazed knowing she was standing where abuck had recently been. We walked on and I called in a pair of crows for her, but they didn't come in close enough for a shot. She was impressed with the calling howeverand grabbed one of my duck calls out ofthe truck. She carried it around quacking on it the rest of the day. Even though we didn't see anything, we had a wonderful time being together and learning about the natural world. The best part about it for me was knowing that she was seeing and experiencing all of these things for the first time - with me. Each step she tookwas one step further intoa newworld for her. She heard all kinds of birdscalling, whichpreviously were foreign languages; but now she can identify these birds and she knows these are meaningful sounds. Unfortunatley, she ended up getting sick, so we weren't able to go out again. But her mom has plans to come visit me in February and we made plans to go out again. Whenever they come to visit I always try to get her out for some trout fishing and she loves it. So I believe she will definitely come to love hunting.

Anyway, I apologize for the length of this, but thank you for letting me share this special experience with you.