Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How old till you take your children hunting with you? >

How old till you take your children hunting with you?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How old till you take your children hunting with you?

Old 10-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default How old till you take your children hunting with you?

Curious as to how old you all think is a good age to take your kids out during a hunt? (if they are intersted of course)
Old 10-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How old till you take your children hunting with you?

i was about 4 1/2 whejn my ol' man started takin me on milder days of course and every day since we have hunted together. i plan on starting my childeren around the same age. (when i have some) so basically as soon as they can walk real good on their own through the woods
Old 10-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guessing I'll start my son around 5 or 6. Checking cameras and things. I don't know about hunting though. My daughter is 12 and said she is interested but last season I took her and she couldn't put down her cell phone(texting) and she tried naming all the cows in the field behind us. Try again this year with her though.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

I would say 4-5, whenever they are ready to go.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

i should add that i thihk it depends on the kids desire and attitude towards hunting. i couldnt wait to go and always cried when i was left behind at the youngers ages of 4/5/6 yrs old when dad would go away for a week. i field dressed my firstbuck @ age 5 under strong supervision of my father but i did do the entire job myself. i know some kids arent ready for that at that age but i grew up around it and couldnt wait. i think all kids develope a love or hate for huntong at their own pace. some are born full blown ready others arent and need to be eased into it. my little cousin is 11 and he had never really gutted his own deer till last year and i know for a fact his dad started as young as myself.....his boy just wasnt ready for it yet (although i blame that on his mother)
Old 10-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

I've taken my son (age 9) along on an antlerless hunt last year, when the weather was really warm. He has accompanied me and the pooch on some pheasant hunting trips close to home as well. I doubt that he'll be coming along for another few years during the regular gun deer season in late November up here. Until he can sit longer than an hour or two...no way. Although I'm breaking him in more each year with ice fishing. We'll see.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember sitting on my father's shoulders while coonhunting at the age of 3! My oldest son has been turkey hunting and warm weather deer hunting with me since the age of 4. It used to kill me because as we would pull away from the drive my 2 year old son would be standing at the window crying because he wanted to go. I really believe the kids themselves will let you know when they are ready.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

My dad made me wait till I was 13. Now he tells me he wished he started me sooner, but I've only been hunting for 8 years now and I've killed 11 deer.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

I took my son out when he was 6. He wasnt ready to touch the deer yet but he really enjoyed the experience.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took my son with me when he was 7. He carried a gun when he was 8 and killed a doe opening day. He has been shooting .22 since he was 7 and he still shoots every Fri night and is a BAR 6 NRA sharpshooter. I also forgot to say he killed a jake this past turkey season also. I am very proud of him, and he and I are both ready for November 15th!!

Quick Reply: How old till you take your children hunting with you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.