Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

What gun??

Old 12-16-2007, 11:19 AM

Default What gun??

Hey guys, im in the market for buying a new gun, to use for yotes, fox, woodchuckand target shooting.What is a good all around gun to use for them.Im looking to spend around $200, I was thinking of a 223 or 22 mag.Any other suggestions on size or type of gun?
Old 12-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What gun??

Get a Stevens model 200 in 22-250.It's well designed,simple to use,rugged rifle for the money.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

i second the steven model 200. its exactly the same gun as the high priced savages. it just doesnt have the fincey triger.i have a savage model 12 in stainless and i just bought my wife her first rifle which is the stevens in 223cal.she can out shoot me with it(sometime..lol). the only thing i particulary care for isthe stock not because there is anything wrong with it but just because i dont like the grey color. for under 100 bucks i can get her what ever stock she wants and still be cheaper than any other high priced rifle and still have the amazing quality.
jmo i hope this helps!!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

another vote for stevens 200 in 223. I think they can be had for around $275 nib
Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Probably depends on what you will be using it the most for. If it isprimarily for groundhogs and target shooting with the occasional reasonable shot at a fox or coyote than a .17 HMR would be better than a .22 mag and much more economical than a centerfire.