Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

50 BMG

Old 12-18-2007, 11:58 PM

Default RE: 50 BMG

Here is something i found about U.S. Army Snipers "Graduates of the U.S. Army sniper school are expected to achieve 90 percent first-round hits at 600 meters, using the M24 Sniper Weapon System (SWS)."

*edit* You thought the .50 BMG was a big round check out these South African Anti-Material Guns, one in 14.5 mm and the other in 20mm!!!!! [:-] http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn55-e.htm
Old 12-19-2007, 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Howler

This story smells real fishy. The only .50 bmg that I ever shot weighed 36#'s. If you could hold it up and shoot it off hand, it sure as heck wouldn't knock ys over. Between the suppressor and the weight of the gun, it didn't kick any worse than a .270. And to say to blows up prairie dogs, or deer is pure bs too. The 749 gr. bullets that we shot simply poked holes through the prairie dogs, because the bullet never hit enough mass to make it expand. The 22-250 with ballistic tips do waaaaayyyyy more damage on the little prairie dogs. And if you guys really shot it as much as you say you did, I wonder who could afford all those expensive shells.

Fishy, real fishy!!
That's exactly what I was thinking. The last AR-50 I held was in the 46# range and no way in hell could I hold it off hand, that and the fact that curent price of 50 ammo is $5 per round assuming you never missed that would mean for 100 prairie dogs you paid about $500.

Fishy is putting it mildly.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Crittergiter

ORIGINAL: Howler

This story smells real fishy. The only .50 bmg that I ever shot weighed 36#'s. If you could hold it up and shoot it off hand, it sure as heck wouldn't knock ys over. Between the suppressor and the weight of the gun, it didn't kick any worse than a .270. And to say to blows up prairie dogs, or deer is pure bs too. The 749 gr. bullets that we shot simply poked holes through the prairie dogs, because the bullet never hit enough mass to make it expand. The 22-250 with ballistic tips do waaaaayyyyy more damage on the little prairie dogs. And if you guys really shot it as much as you say you did, I wonder who could afford all those expensive shells.

Fishy, real fishy!!
That's exactly what I was thinking. The last AR-50 I held was in the 46# range and no way in hell could I hold it off hand, that and the fact that curent price of 50 ammo is $5 per round assuming you never missed that would mean for 100 prairie dogs you paid about $500.

Fishy is putting it mildly.
Notice Bigbucks98 won't respond to any ones questions either.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I could afford it?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

ORIGINAL: Retaks

Hurley you are right about a 50 BMG is for aking out vehicles at long ranges. I just got out of the Marine Corps and we were told that we were NOT to shoot any person with a 50 BMG because it is against the law. You cannot shoot them with one becasue it would do too much damage to the person. We are not to shoot to kill we were to shoot to immobilize the threat. If we were found to be shooting to kill a person unless they kept shooting at us after we had shot tehm atleast 2 times we were going to be charged with murder and they did charge 3 people i know of with it.
So its illegal to shoot someone with the .50 BMG but not a .50 Cal Machine gun ? I'd like to see this in the Geneva Convention.

P.S. If its illegal then why is the worlds longest kill record set with a .50 BMG in Afghanistan?
It is in the Geneva Convention that you are not to use the 50BMG on troops. You are supposed to use it on vehicles and equipment. If i'm not mistaken the longest recorded shot was made by a sniper in SOCOM. Special Forces, Seals, and Delta don't have to follow the Geneva convention that's why they can use hollow point ammo as well. They are excluded from it. The regular infantry soldiers and Marines have to abide by the rules of the Geneva Convention.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:50 PM

So does that mean that they can detain and interview captives however they want? Just curious, I thought that the Geneva Convention applied to all forms of military. Then again, I'm not in the military, so things like these don't usually come across my path everyday. lol
Old 12-20-2007, 03:06 AM

Here is something i found about U.S. Army Snipers "Graduates of the U.S. Army sniper school are expected to achieve 90 percent first-round hits at 600 meters, using the M24 Sniper Weapon System (SWS)."

*edit* You thought the .50 BMG was a big round check out these South African Anti-Material Guns, one in 14.5 mm and the other in 20mm!!!!! [:-] http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn55-e.htm
This gun is in one of my history of gun books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_97_20_mm_AT_Rifle

I weight 155lbs and it was fully automatic.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Palladin8

ORIGINAL: Retaks

Hurley you are right about a 50 BMG is for aking out vehicles at long ranges. I just got out of the Marine Corps and we were told that we were NOT to shoot any person with a 50 BMG because it is against the law. You cannot shoot them with one becasue it would do too much damage to the person. We are not to shoot to kill we were to shoot to immobilize the threat. If we were found to be shooting to kill a person unless they kept shooting at us after we had shot tehm atleast 2 times we were going to be charged with murder and they did charge 3 people i know of with it.
So its illegal to shoot someone with the .50 BMG but not a .50 Cal Machine gun ? I'd like to see this in the Geneva Convention.

P.S. If its illegal then why is the worlds longest kill record set with a .50 BMG in Afghanistan?
It is in the Geneva Convention that you are not to use the 50BMG on troops. You are supposed to use it on vehicles and equipment. If i'm not mistaken the longest recorded shot was made by a sniper in SOCOM. Special Forces, Seals, and Delta don't have to follow the Geneva convention that's why they can use hollow point ammo as well. They are excluded from it. The regular infantry soldiers and Marines have to abide by the rules of the Geneva Convention.

I'd like to see where in the Geneva Convention it says this. Second it was a canadian scout sniper in a light infantry platoon. "Canadian snipers in Afghanistan after September 11th made the longest recorded kills in history with this weapon. On a March afternoon in 2002, Cpl. Furlong of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) squinted through the scope of his McMillan TAC-50 and successfully killed an enemy combatant from 2,430 m." If ANYONE can find me a piece of evidence supporting the Geneva Convention banning the .50 please post it because i can't find anything.

P.S. I've looked through the Hague Convention and it says nothing about calibers." The Contracting Parties agree to abstain from the use of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core, or is pierced with incisions."
Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

wow this got WAY off topic..lol
Old 12-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

I lived and hunted in NE for 24 years and never once saw a prairie dog. Ground Hogs everywhere, but no prairie dogs