Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

50 BMG

Old 12-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 50 BMG

I've shot the Barrett semi-auto and it's one fun gun to shoot. Unless you've shot one you just wouldn't understand. As far as being unethical I see nothing wrong with using a weapon that provides a swift humane kill. It is much better to be overgunned than undergunned. As far as wasting meat on a deer, I don't care how large of a caliber you use a chest shot won't destroy any of the backstrap or legs and I would trade the heart, liver, shoulder and some ribsfor a quick humane kill anyday. Expensive, yes but if it's what you like who cares, you can't take it with you.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigbucks98

The reason I havent been on here for awhile is cause I was in NE doing some prairie dog hunting. It just so happens that the guy we went with had just bought himself a 50 BMG. I shot atleast 75-100 p-dogs with this thing everywhere from 75-800 yards. I got told not to push it any further. I had pictures took on a digital but they didnt turn out at all. This thing was a beast with that Leupold. All there was left was red mist.And didnt kick worth a crap as long as it was on the Caldwell Led Sled Rest. I shot it 6 times in one day without it and It didnt hurt as long as you stayed within the bipod on it. But my dads friend triend to shoot it free hand and it knocked him on his a$!.lol But I get to deer hunt with it next year.
Thats just a waste. Both p-dogs and on deer. Let me guess, did you have your .223 Accly too?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

i geuss you have changed my mind. now that i see other points of veiw.its just hearing that a animal exploding was kinda creepy.and i thought that the main purpose of a 50 bmg was to take out vehicles, secondary was for human targets.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:34 PM

Hurley you are right about a 50 BMG is for aking out vehicles at long ranges. I just got out of the Marine Corps and we were told that we were NOT to shoot any person with a 50 BMG because it is against the law. You cannot shoot them with one becasue it would do too much damage to the person. We are not to shoot to kill we were to shoot to immobilize the threat. If we were found to be shooting to kill a person unless they kept shooting at us after we had shot tehm atleast 2 times we were going to be charged with murder and they did charge 3 people i know of with it.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

also glad your back from iraq safe and sound
Old 12-16-2007, 01:49 PM

50 Cal.....deer.....p-dogs...... give me a break.....that is the most rediculous thing ive heard....im sorry, but if your going to do that, why not use hand gernaids... sidewinder missiles....or a tank?[8D] they wont feel those either! we have to draw the line somewhere and imo we crossed that line when we use this kind of firepower for small-med game....imo though[&:]
Old 12-16-2007, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Retaks

Hurley you are right about a 50 BMG is for aking out vehicles at long ranges. I just got out of the Marine Corps and we were told that we were NOT to shoot any person with a 50 BMG because it is against the law. You cannot shoot them with one becasue it would do too much damage to the person. We are not to shoot to kill we were to shoot to immobilize the threat. If we were found to be shooting to kill a person unless they kept shooting at us after we had shot tehm atleast 2 times we were going to be charged with murder and they did charge 3 people i know of with it.
So its illegal to shoot someone with the .50 BMG but not a .50 Cal Machine gun ? I'd like to see this in the Geneva Convention.

P.S. If its illegal then why is the worlds longest kill record set with a .50 BMG in Afghanistan?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

i saw a sow and the guy was showing off the 5 and t was a sniper rifle used to kill people not immuplize them if your not allowed to shoot to kil then why do all snipers kill there tagets whenthe have not been shot at
ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

ORIGINAL: Retaks

So its illegal to shoot someone with the .50 BMG but not a .50 Cal Machine gun ? I'd like to see this in the Geneva Convention.

P.S. If its illegal then why is the worlds longest kill record set with a .50 BMG in Afghanistan?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:14 PM

Also the Geneva Convention prohibits hollow points but not calibers. In fact the old record for longest kill was achieved using an M2 Browning Machine Gun with optics. There's a well documented case from World War II Audie Murphy using a .50 cal machine gun against a wave of German Infantry and killing or wounding 50 of them. He was awarded the Medal of Honor and is regarded as a national hero.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

These kids are ridiculous. We need a sign that says "Must be this tall to post".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.