Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

50 BMG

Old 12-16-2007, 06:06 PM

Default RE: 50 BMG

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

ORIGINAL: bigbucks98

The reason I havent been on here for awhile is cause I was in NE doing some prairie dog hunting. It just so happens that the guy we went with had just bought himself a 50 BMG. I shot atleast 75-100 p-dogs with this thing everywhere from 75-800 yards. I got told not to push it any further. I had pictures took on a digital but they didnt turn out at all. This thing was a beast with that Leupold. All there was left was red mist.And didnt kick worth a crap as long as it was on the Caldwell Led Sled Rest. I shot it 6 times in one day without it and It didnt hurt as long as you stayed within the bipod on it. But my dads friend triend to shoot it free hand and it knocked him on his a$!.lol But I get to deer hunt with it next year.
Thats just a waste. Both p-dogs and on deer. Let me guess, did you have your .223 Accly too?
Thats all he took was his .223 accly. Its the best gun fromdeer to tree rats!
Old 12-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off who cares what he was shooting with it(even though it sounds a little wild to be shooting that much with one) as long as its legal use it.Its no different then using a .22-250 for deer.I was in the 75th rangers and shot the .50 bmg many times.There is no law aginst shooting humans with it that I know of.We trained for along time on how to use it efficient aginst hard and soft targets.That full metal jacket bullet wont damage any more meat then a 30-06 with a soft lead bullet.Sure it will take out a light armored vehicle but it is still a great sniper round as well.Be carful with that rifle it will shoot alot farther then you can see and go through the neighbor's truck at the same time.I have had one for along time and I can tell ya it is very expensive to shoot if you have to buy the rounds.Mine is a single shot and it weights 32lbs I am sure I dont want to carry it any more had enough of the in the service.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is people like you that think that it will do so much damage to an animal that gives the BMG a bad rap.

This is what it does to people got to think it would do the same to a deer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nUZaAESv6k
Old 12-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would try it!!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Be carful with that rifle it will shoot alot farther then you can see and go through the neighbor's truck at the same time.
This is what I would worry about. Even if you know your going to hit your target, after it blows though that what else are you going to hit? I dont care if thats what you want to hunt with, but it seems kinda silly to me. A 50bmg and the 30-06 come out of the muzzle the same, about 2800fps. But the 50bmg has 13000flbs as the 30-06 has about 3000flbs of energy. This could be a time-saver though, as I would try to get the deer to walk to the middle of a field that you covered with freezer paper. No muss, no fuss; shoot the deer and then wrap up the hamburger!
Old 12-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

This story smells real fishy. The only .50 bmg that I ever shot weighed 36#'s. If you could hold it up and shoot it off hand, it sure as heck wouldn't knock ys over. Between the suppressor and the weight of the gun, it didn't kick any worse than a .270. And to say to blows up prairie dogs, or deer is pure bs too. The 749 gr. bullets that we shot simply poked holes through the prairie dogs, because the bullet never hit enough mass to make it expand. The 22-250 with ballistic tips do waaaaayyyyy more damage on the little prairie dogs. And if you guys really shot it as much as you say you did, I wonder who could afford all those expensive shells.

Fishy, real fishy!!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Up to 2 miles this thing is a beast... all the fields that we hunted were just not long enough for it. I wouldve shot the 1-2 miles in a heart beat or atleast tried to if the fields were lond enough. I shot a p-dog at 34 yards and took out the 3 others just below the surface of the hole,and took out the mound they were on.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just curious. What was the zero on the 50 cal, and what MOA were you using to shoot 800 yards? How much drop does a 50cal have at those distances?

Kudos to you if you actually know enough to shoot a 50cal effectively, and then shot 75-100 p-dogs with it. I don't know many 15yr olds that can do that.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

i dont know many people period even our snipers aren't that accurate all the time.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:55 PM

Aim Small Miss Small

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.