Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Predator Rifle Under $300

Old 09-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Predator Rifle Under $300

I am serious this time. I want to know the best caliber. I will probably get an NEF beacause if you cant hit them with one shot, you shouldnt be hunting, because you wont get a second. I here good things about 22-250, and .204 ruger, but what about 22 wmr, or 22 hornet, or .223? I know theyll all work, but id hunt mostly fields, and id use a scope. Max Yards probably 200yds. So what would you buy? I can get a Remington 700 in 22-250 from my uncle used for probably a couple hundred dollars, but its rusted, and dusty, and nasty. Anyone know a good way to clean it up if i got that? cause its still a remington. Its still a good lookin rifle.idk much about rifles so im askin you guys. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Predator Rifle Under $300

I can get a Remington 700 in 22-250 from my uncle used for probably a couple hundred dollars, but its rusted, and dusty, and nasty.
Go run as fast as you can with your $200.00 and buy it.
Then take it to a gunsmith and get him or her to clean it for you.
You can't go wrong with a remington 700 for $200.00
If you don't want it let me know and I will buy it.
Espeasly if its a remington 700 BDL

Good Luck
Old 09-26-2007, 12:07 PM
tf
Spike

Yeah, the Rem 700 sounds good, almost any firearm can be cleaned up or even re-blued relatively cheap. However, if you choose the NEF, you won't be disappointed either. I have one in .223 heavy barrell with laminated stock, bought at Wal-Mart several years ago for under $200, not sure of prices now. I too usually stay within 200 yards, and this set uphas never failed me. I use Hornady ammo. and it performs superbly in it. It has a shorter barrell but like I said, it does the job. I really like mine and would buy another if need be.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

whats the best way to determine if yotes are int the area, or are in a certain field, just listen for them or scout or what? cause i think im gonna end up getting an nef, although i havent talked to my dad yet about either, but i will probably either tonite, or tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

I will probably get an NEF beacause if you cant hit them with one shot, you shouldnt be hunting, because you wont get a second.

Brod - for what it's worth I have killed3 coyotes in the past 2 years with a second shot. Two of those times was because I missedattrotting coyotesheaded downwind that wouldn'tstop and I got lucky and killed them running. The other time I called up more than one coyote and again got lucky on one running off. This scenerio has happened more than once but I've managed to kill more than one 'yote only this one time. It was fun shooting at the runners though.

Here's a trick a friend (and great predator hunter) told me. This won't work except with smaller bore guns. When possible he shoots the coyotes he calls in the back hip with his 22.250. This will break the coyote down and he'll start bawling. He tells me thatfrequently there are more coyotes hiding in the weeds and they will come running to see what's going on. He has killed many doubles this way. Sounds cruel, I know, and it costs an extra round to finish the dog off but he doesn't let it suffer long.

Mouthcaller
Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Coyotes are a very hearty animal! Sometimes they will get up and run so I second shot is needed! If you see them still moving after one hit, keep shooting!
Old 10-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Too bad ya aint in indiana cuz. I got alimited editionNEF chambered in .243 win with a Bushnell 3-9X scope I'm wantin to sell or trade for about that much
Old 10-05-2007, 06:58 PM

Mouthcaller your friend that shoots to wound any animal first of all does not fall under the Hunter ethics category in my book. I have taken doubles without wounding one on purpose just to hear it suffer for another shot at a different yote. All he needs to do is continue calling after the first kill and he has about a 50% chance the others will show themselves for the double if in fact there is another yote there. I am not bashing him I think he needs to respect the animal with a clean kill. What we don"t need is more stories like that to give animal rights activist some thing to talk about. They probably read lots of forums like this one. Have a great day and shoot to kill.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Now I'm all for taking as many coyotes as possible off of this earth, but shooting them in the hip first just seems unethical. Every shot you make should be a kill shot if possible.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

i can never seem tofind time to make it to either a gun shop where my friend got his nef .223, or walmart, or even my uncles for that matter, so while we wait if you had to pick one caliber(even if you dont have that caliber) for an all around varmint gun what would it be?

Quick Reply: Predator Rifle Under $300

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.