Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

big coon question

Old 01-07-2003, 09:43 PM

Default big coon question

about 3 weeks ago i went coon hunting with my uncle because he wanted to get a nice coon to life size for his 14 yr old dog. will she ended up treeing one by herself and i got to shoot it. when he took it to his taxerdermist they weighed it and it weighed 33 pounds. i was just wondering what u guys think is a big coon
Old 01-08-2003, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: big coon question

back in the days when fur was big fur buyers had several pay rates for coon.a 33 pounder would have fallen in the normal pay scale.then they had what they called a "jumbo rate",these were coon that had a weight of 50 pounds or more.a 50 plus pound coon is absolutly huge.now that was back then,today a jumbo coon is very rare.at least around here they are.a 33 pound coon is a nice size coon in any day and age.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:15 AM

33 lbs. is a big coon in my neck of the woods.
a 22 to 25lbs is a large coon here,20 lbs. is the avergage.
I got three last Sat. night,they were I would say 18lbs. avg.one was small,(very young)

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Anything over 30lbs is a pretty big coon. My personal biggest coon was 36lbs but I know a guy that has shot two over 40lbs.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

one night me and my dad were out with the dog..started at the truck where coons run in a creek for crawdads and minnows and such....hit the trail right away...we followed for about...1 1/2 miles..my dad was ready to pull the dog off because he thought it was running garbage but it treed...he was surprised..we get to the tree and see a big coon looking at us...dad cracks him between the eyes and it falls 50ft to the ground...dog grabs him and goes nuts like they do..thing was still kickin!! this was not nevers..this was growling and running until the dog grabbed it..it was coonzilla..we get it from the dog after it died and we found out why..it was a monster...i was about 11 or so and i couldnt hold it with both hands and i was a pretty decint sized kid and strong...we skinned it and left because we were out for a "quick" hunt just to work the dog becuase he been on the box for about 3 days(pathetic i know we HAD to run our dogs atleast once every 3 nites or we felt terrible...thats why they are gone now..my dad didnt have the time..it was the love of my life though..) this coon was well over 4 ft long from tip of the nose to the tail...i was 4ft 4 i think and most of the tail was on the floor when we held it beside me!! it was a huge coon..i wish i was older i would remember the weight..but i couldnt hold it so i cant really say...id guess atleast 40lbs easy....33 is a big coon..and pretty uncommon anymore...we killed alot of coons the 6 or so years we ran dogs and most ere in the 20 range..a few made it into the 30s and were pretty hard to come by...out of the 200+ a year only 20 or so were the big guys...the rest were the normal 20 or so...congrats on the coon!

Old 01-10-2003, 01:56 PM

33 lbs is a BIG coon! Congrats!

If I ain't huntin',I'm trappin',If I ain't trappin',I'm fishin'
If I ain't fishin',I'm wishin'!