Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Survival Bows

Old 09-02-2007, 07:48 AM

Default Survival Bows

Does anyone here make survival bows? I make some, whenever im in the woods and im not aloud to bring my real bow into the woods to hunt. The wood I use is freshly cut green wood. I have it about 3/4 of an inch thick and usually about 60 inches long or less. I make shure the bow "stick" has no small knots or limbs on it, and is perfectly strait. Then I simply bend the bow and string it up. This bow is alot faster to make then a dry wood survival bow, just in case you dont have a knife to shape it. Although the arrow has a sluggish cast and the bow a weak draw weight, im almost certain it can kill small fish, frogs, small birds, maybe a Rabbit or Squirrel. It has an effective range of about 15 feet or less so if you hunt with it you have to get pretty close to the prey.The arrow is traveling at probally 50-60 MPH. slow, but a good enough speed for an arrow to reach it's target at close range without the chance of prey dodging the arrow. My bows only last about a week worths of hunting before it loses its spring, but making a new one shouldn't even be a problem. The reason why I make green wood bows is becasue I do not know how to do the tillering on a dry wood bow. So I guess I took the shortcut way.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:50 AM

Default RE: Survival Bows

You're supposed to make sapling bows from green wood and let it dry.

Here's the best linky in the world:

www.primitiveways.com

You're gonna love that site wolf.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:07 PM

Default RE: Survival Bows

Today I made a Bundle Bow. Im letting it season and hopefully in a week or two, I will have a good homemade bow. It's about 69 inches long, and has about a 35 or 40 draw weight so far. If its like 35#or 40# when it is freshly cut wood, then it will probally end up a 40-45# when dryed. I used tight binding electric tape and im going to finish it off with a couple layers of duck tape. These bows are very simple to make I think. All you need is at least three freshly cut green saplings that are skinned, a rolll of electric or duck tape or cordage, and thats it. I don't want to try hunting Deer with it so soon. First I want to test the arrows flight speed and penetration when the bow is done seasoning, and I will try hunting small game with it. Once the bow is broken in and the test results are good, I might just try hunting a Deer with it. I took apart my Fiberglass Tent Pole bow becasue we are going camping soon and my parents told me to put them back in the tent bag. And for any of those people who are against the fact of hunting Deer with a homemade bow, people use homemade bows to hunt all the time, especially back then. You don't need high-tech commercial equipment to hunt with, as long as the hunting tool can kill, which I am certain my homeade bow can kill animals.