Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Trapping Bobcats...Please help...

Old 08-12-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Trapping Bobcats...Please help...

I live on NC/VA Border..I have never trapped for animals..Im interested in trapping for Bobcats to do a floor mount..What kind of trap do I need to do this with ? What kind of bait do I use ? I figuring once the animal is caught you shoot it with a .22 ? I found some rather large tracks behind my home 6 inches in length/ 5 inches across.. I contacted NC Wildlife and they said it was a large cat maybe up to 35 lbs or so.I have small children and my neighbor has some small house cats gone missing..They said they would come up here to set traps;However , i think it would look better stuffed laying on a piece of drift wood beside the fireplace..Any tips will be most appreciated..
Old 08-12-2007, 10:47 PM

Default RE: Trapping Bobcats...Please help...

Ive never trapped, but maybe you can find a forum for trapping to get help. sorry I was'nt more help
Old 08-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

A healthy bobcat is a threat to house cats and small dogs, but I wouldn't worry about it causing problems with children or larger dogs.

If you want to trap it, I would use a large cage trap. The trap needs to be tall enough the cat can enter it comfortably. Place the trap where the bobcat wants to natrually enter the trap, like between some brush, where the cat is naturally funnelled to the trap entrance.

For bait, you can use a variety of things. I trap coons, but have caught bobcats, using dry cat food. Canned cat food or a can of tuna also works. But if you have coons, you may catch 20 coons before you catch one bobcat.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget about the skunks NTexan!!

I've had the best luck catching bobcats with beaver meat. I use the carcass from beavers I catch.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:16 PM

I found some rather large tracks behind my home 6 inches in length/ 5 inches across.. I contacted NC Wildlife and they said it was a large cat maybe up to 35 lbs or so.
If the tracks are that big it has got to be a mountain lion!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:21 PM

I was thinking the same thing when i found them..But the Wildlife saw them too and said it was a bobcat..I took his word for it..
Old 08-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where bouts are you?? I have never seen a bobcat with a paw that big. Try www.trapperman.com.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:34 AM

Im in Rockingham Co. N.C. right on VA. border..

Old 08-15-2007, 10:58 AM

Any set you would make for fox will work on bobcat. Use at least a number 2 coils spring though nothing smaller - bridger has a canine trap I want to say it is a 2 1/2 that should work well - just make a flat set or dirt hole set bait with some fresh meat and use some bobcat urine around the set if you have it available at any local trapping supply shops.

Use something for eye apeal to draw in the bobcat place it on a small brach about three to four feet off the ground. Tinsle you would use on a christmas tree works good so does the tape from inside old vhs tapes is shines just enough in the moon light to draw the attention of a bobcat from a distance. Place some old dear bones or something around the trap area as well and use something as backing - a clump of grass, small piece of log or a rock just to make the cat approach the set from the correct direction. Also look around and if there is a high spot in the terrain or a big ant hill nearby that would be a good place to make a blind set because cats tend to hop up on these high spots and check out the trap location before coming into it. You very well could catch a fox, coyote, racoon, skunk, opposum, and other critters with this same set. Becareful of set location though you don't want to end up with the neighbors cat or dog. Good luck.
\