Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

looking to buy first varmint gun

Old 07-18-2007, 12:45 PM

Default looking to buy first varmint gun

Im fairly new to centerfire rifles. Im going to be purchasing my first rifle fairly soon. I have my selection down to 2 choices. These choices were decided on a few things obviously feel, brand quality, and for me most importantly Cost. The two im looking at are the Savage 11series with a 3x9 scope .223 with accutriger for $450, and the Remington 700 SPS varmint .223 with a 4x12 scope for $550. This gun will be used primarly for plinking, yotes, and ground hog. Has anyone had either of these rifles, and what are you thoughts.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:01 PM

Default RE: looking to buy first varmint gun

Personally, I would get the Savage. Some people don't like the Accutrigger, but I think most of those guys have great triggers on their guns that don't have the lawyer bar on them. But, for most of us, the accutrigger is fantastic.

I have a 243 Savage with the Simmons 3-9 and the scope really is not bad. I bought a Simmons scope at Walmart that was the same model only 4-12. That thing is JUNK. Eye relief and parallax are horrible and I consider it absolutely useless.

I am not sure, but I think the scope on the Remington is probably a Bushnell.

I think it is all in your preference. They are both very good guns, especially for the money. I doubt there will be any difference in the accuracy. I would take the Accutrigger and the extra $100 any day of the week. You can take that $100 and stick it in your piggy bank to start saving up for a good scope, or just buy some ammo.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:18 PM

great info. Do you think that having the heavy varmint barrel helps much in any way? How do you like your savage? Which model is it?

Old 07-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

I would go with the Savage also. I have a Model 11 in .243 with a 3-9X40 Simmons scope, and it is unreal how awesome the gun is. It is very accurate, and I love it. I shoot 58 grain Hornady V-Max through it, and it is a good combo. Nothing wrong with Remington, but it is just a name, I'm sure it will shoot great, but the extra $100 is for the name. My gun doesn't have the heavy barrel, but I don't know if it really needs it.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

i went with the SPS in 22-250 with the same scope. i killed me 20 some chucks with that gun in a couple weeks out to 350yds! really a great shooting gun. now i have a Leupold 6-18x40AOT on it. also put on a Harris bipod. gun shot me a couple .70-.75" groups at 100yds. likes a lighter bullet with the 1-14" twist. the gun is still factory. didnt have the trigger done and am shooting factory ammo. the groups were actually shot with cheap UMC value pack ammo. 50gr HPs. didnt NEED a new scope...but a varmint gun usually begs for a good scope to be put on it. but that scope got me through a month of hunting and worked good for me. not a terrible scope...but not a Leupold.

heres some pics for ya

the original scope...150yd head shot.

the new scope on it and 4 hogs i got that day. 3 head shots out to 200 and 1 chest shot at 250.

i love it...good shootin gun.

if you do ALOT of sitting and hardly any walking a long heavy barrel like the SPS has will suit you well. the heavy barrel helps keep you steady and keeps the barrel cool(but once it heats up it takes longer to cool...but with an open bolt it will cool fast enough...) but if you do ALOT of walking and that, then id recommend a light, shorter barrel. i do my chuck hunting by sitting and waiting and making the shot from a distance. i didnt buy my rifle to walk around with...its too long and heavy for that. when i sling it i have to carry it barrel down because its so front heavy and its long and hits on the grass and stuff if its high..but it holds really steady for me...
Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 PM

wow nice shot, great looking gun too. Its still up in the air which model I will buy. going to take a look this weekend.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

savage model 12fv is a heavy barrel version. I am a savage fan by the way and that model should be fine. I have 3. 243, 308, and 30-06 which will soon be a 35 whelen
Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Both guns will be more than accurate enough to get the job done. Go with the gun that you can shoulder the easiest. Pick up the two and compare them, then the decision will probably be obvious.

I'd avoid the combo deal. The scopes they come with aren't worthy of the rifles they are on. When you put a $50 scope on a $500 gun, you'll get a gun that shoots like you paid $50 for it.

My .223 has a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, and I certainly wouldn't go with anything cheaper.

If you are hunting at night, a 3-9x40 is as big as you'll want. Anything larger, and you'll be too slow locating some of your targets.

I'm not a big fan of heavy barrels for coyote guns. Coyote hunting, especially in the daytime, involves a lot of walking. And the action, especially in close quarters, is very fast. I have never missed a coyote because the accuracy of my gun has let me down.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

SPS Varmit with Burris 3x9x40 scope. I loved the hunter green color and heavy barrel....sweet shooter
Old 07-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll add another vote for the Remington. I was debating between the SPS and the VLS this spring. The Savages are supposed to be great shooters, but I (personal preference) just didn't like the feel and/or look of them. Eventually the VLS won out for me, but the SPS is nearly the same rifle. It would be a great choice.

My VLS with Leupold 6-18x40 AO w/ sunshade:

Quick Reply: looking to buy first varmint gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.