Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit bait???

Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rabbit bait???

I have acouple of havahart traps but just can't to seem to get the whiley wabbitto enter.Yardfull of clover so what could be better.Even put my wifes salad on it. (I did tell her it was delicious).
I could pop them with the .22 ,bowany of the lethal methods but frankly I'm just messin withmy dog. Way to much free time I guess......
Old 07-10-2007, 09:09 AM

Default RE: Rabbit bait???

Cut up a Fresh apple and put the slices in the trap. This should work as it did for my traps. I do this for my dogs as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cut up Apples and Onions is what we always used.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2188316

This was posted about a week ago
Old 07-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are eating them great if not why are you messing with them?Are they hurting anything?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

i caught one last night on apples when i had a box trap set for groundhogs.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

1st - haveaharts don't work well. Get you a pyramid trap preferably w/ treddle trigger, but if you can't make that, use a fig. 4 type trigger. I'll nail rabbits all year long w/ them vs. a box trap. Box traps you need to really disguise. Use an apple, w/ vanilla extract, and other rabbit droppings if you can find them and you'll have rabbits in your trap all the time. This time of year is hardest (spring - summer) b/c food is readily available. Winter is super easy to trap them as food is harder to come by.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:21 PM

Ihave tryed simple snares, covered my scent with skunk cabbage stem juice, and set it perfectly with clear 45 pound test fishing line, everything is perfect, and I have already checked, but I still don't get any Cottontails. I set only 9 traps throughout the small field near tracks, dens, and little "runways" for the rabbits. Nothing seems to work. So I stick to harvesting them with my bow. I eat them everytime. I use the hide to make shoes and gloves for Winter, and the Femur bone and the other bones for needles, fish hooks, and arrowhead. The intestines for fishing bait, and the stomach for carrying slingshot ammo ( but only if it is a large rabbit). So I don't waste anything. But I still want to trap them but I dont know how to properly construct other traps. I mean I know what they are and how they work, but don't know how to make them. I have sucssesfully caught me some squirrels with the squirrel pole, and caught a wood grouse with a twitch-up snare, but not any rabbits. I guess the rabbits aren't something im lucky with trapping. But I do love my slingshot which I have taken many birds and rabbits with, not as much as my little bow, but enough to carry it with me and the bow on hunts. There are some Ducks near the lake, and a family of Geese im planning on harvesting for meat and feathers for my homemade arrows. And next Spring im going to hunt Turkey with my 30# bow, which can easily kill it. If a 30# bow has a chance of killing Deer ( yes it is possible), it can easily kill a Turkey.