Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Very new coyote hunter!

Old 01-16-2002, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Very new coyote hunter!

This year was the first time clubs in Southhampton Virginia have killed more then a few coyotes. I have heard of a club that killed 10 and we killed 6. They are being seen more and more and are on my uncles land. How do I go about hunting them. Do I sit still and call or move. I am very new. The ones killed during deer season the dogs were running.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Very new coyote hunter!

Calling coyotes is gaining poplarity in the east.Calling can be very exciting and can bring them (coyotes, fox, bobcat) to you.When the weather turns cold, very cold is better, coyotes have to up thier intake of food and they are opportunist, meaning if you can convince them that there is a dying rabbit near by, they will come, usually, if they haven't already been eduacated, and even then you can fool them once in a while.I'd suggest, if you haven't ever seen or heard anyone call before, do some research, on the web. or rent a calling video, or buy a good video, and learn what you should sound like.The cottontail distress is most popular, but other sounds such as jack rabbit distress, puppys crying, or wood pecker distress will all work.One of the main things to keep in mind when setting up tp try calling them, try to set up so that the coyote will come into view without having cover down wind of you.They will usually try to come to the call on the downwind side or they will try to get downwind of you before approaching.Try to sit still for near 15 minutes at each set, and make sure you can enter the area that you will be calling without them seeing you, if they see you walking in, they will not come.Most use rifles from the .223 up, and some like to use the 10 or 12 gauge shotguns loaded with 3" 4 buck or larger, which is very effective out to about 50 yrds.You can buy hand held calls cheap and if ya have to do much walking, that's what I'd suggest starting with.Electronic calls work, but they do have thier down falls.Also, is best if you camo yourself head to toe, and your weapon of choice, to blend in with your surroundings as best you can, if you hunt wide open areas, this may not be so important, but if you want the action to get close and personal, which that's how I like it, camo up.Also, try to keep the sun at your back, this will help you see them coming better and it will hinder them seeing you, but the wind in your favor is more important.Take a hunting partner, this is one sport that is more fun when shared with a buddy.Also, you can call them anytime of the day, exspecially when it's cold, they're not being pressured, and when their numbers are high, which means that there is more competition for food amongst the yotes.Hope this helps.Good Luck!Did I miss anything Coyote Seeker!, or anyone else.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

nope,i think ya hit the nail on the head howler.very well put.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks you all, I am going to try it out. I am not sure if the coyote is staying in the area or if it roams alot. With them being pretty new to the area they have their run of the lot.