Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New system for nightime predators

Old 04-18-2007, 06:35 PM

Default New system for nightime predators

I would liketo inform fellow nightime predator huntersthat I have developed a single nightvision system designed to be used as both as a spotting scope and a nighttime rifle scope. You use the nightvision device like a monocular to spot incoming varmints (to an electronic caller or mouth call). Once the varmint is spotted and is within range you can quickly attach the unit to a standard daytime rifle scope and take the shot. I have tested and further developed this unit now for 2 hunting seasons and have taken 25 to 30 coyotes here in West Central IL. Our predator hunting conditions are tough here due to rolling terain and lots of cover. Hunting at night with this system has increased my success rate so much that I no longer hunt in the daytime. The extra long range infrared spotting scope also allows the unit to be used when there is no moon at all, or on a cloudy night. I have taken coyotes up to 200 yards away in complete darkness with my 220 Swift. The beauty of this system is:

1 - It can be attached to any daytime scope so you can use your same firearm for both daytime and nighttime hunting;
2 - It can be used in complete darkness due to the infrared spotting scope;
3 - Unlike conventional red lens nighttime spotting systems, varmints cannot see the infrared beam;
4 - Varmints eyes light up just like conventional systems, allowing the viewer to detect them up to 300 yards away;
5 - You can see the varmint almost as clearly as you can in daylight, so when it disappears behind a small knoll you can quickly pick it back up on the other side;
6 - Varmints are much more active at nighttime and your success rate and quality hunting time is multiplied several times.

I am thinking about taking this system to market along with an instructional DVD. My plan is to try and capture 10 to 15 successful nighttime hunts using nightvision filming technology. The DVD will include the hunts and instructions on how to successfully use this new system for taking varmints. The system is built upon a well known Generation IIInightvision device and would retail for around $3,500.I would like to hear some feedback from membersregarding:

1 - Would there be interest for such a system at a price tag of3,500 ? If not, what price would be more reasonable ?
2 - Would you be interested in buying aDVD for entertainment purposes only showing the nighttime hunting using nightvision technology ?

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New system for nightime predators

Disclaimer: Please don't take my comments personally or think I am trying to cause you any heartache.

I hunt coyotes across the Midwest, including West Central Illinois and have become quite proficient at it. Night time hunting has always offered it's own challenges and Southern Indiana truely offers some tough and tight calling... situations rarely seen in Central or Northern Illinois (or Indiana). Over the years I have pounded my head against the wall with nighttime K-9's and prodominantly been a daytime hunter to remain succesful. Last season I began experimenting with night vision very similar to that you have described. A little more pricey, a little more cutting edge, but very similar.

The result of my experience and research has lead me to believe that what you are offering is not worthwhile to most predator callers. Night vision removed some headaches in hunting the darkness but it created others.... those other headaches seem to be magnified by your plan of removable aiming devises and backup spotlights.

Point by point, here is what I see happening. As you have listed them 1-6 I will respond.

1.) This detachment is a problem. Like it or not, I've played with various methods of aiming devises and without a stationary crosshair you are costing yourself coyotes. Especially if your experience with coyotes/night vision or firearms is limited. You'll find MOST hunters are lacking in one or more of those fields.

2.)This is very true, IR backup is a miracle to even the best night vision. Unfortunately a seemless attachment method such that the crosshairs and beam are together (handsfree) is hard to come by. If you do have that- and it's a must- you'll find those batteries fade relatively fast. I go through IR batteries once or twice a week... I hunt quite a bit though.

3.) True. I'm not certain how you are aiming this weapon... but if you intend to use an IR laser you will find animals do see it.

4.) True. I have picked up and identified incoming coyotes at 700 yards with my system.

5.) True. Assuming you have good NV and are using the IR backup. There is a night/day difference in GOOD GenIII and DECENT GenIII. A couple thousand dollars to be exact.

6.) False. Success is not increased by hunting more. I think most nighttime hunters educate far more coyotes than they do in daytime conditions... therefor making them harder to hunt in the daytime. It is fun to be out there- and I hope everyone gets to experience it- but the learning curve of night time hunting can be very expensive to the average predator caller.

I hope your venture works out well. I think you are a little ahead of your time right now... as many predator hunters haven't taken the leap into $3,000-5,000 investments for something they can use only at night. Most guys are still hunting half a dozen weekends a year, so their addiction hasn't justified that type of investment. I'm speaking about the majority here, there are certainly guys like you and I who have invested tens of thousands in the sport.

I have been filming night time hunts with the newest GenIII technology for almost a year now. I have some very good footage... and I have a great market for that footage. I am president of a company called Hunt Films, INC. which accepts all types of footage from all types of hunters. If you look at www.Huntfilms.com you will find some of our preliminary footage. That footage is being shown for free right now (I believe) while we test out different functionality and construct our website. Next fall you will be able to log onto that site with a membership and view tons of great footage, including GenIII Night Vision predator hunts.

If you'd like to discuss some of these things in person feel free to shoot me a private message. It sounds like you're looking at a road I've been down, maybe I can save you some lumps on your head! LOL!

PS: Check out the link below for some still frames from one of my GenIII coyote kills.
http://midwestpredator.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6041018811/m/5531070202

Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 PM

That sounds like a great concept. Just a little pricey.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:08 AM

wasn't this already posted about a month ago? i distinctly remember commenting on something exactly like this.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:21 PM

You probably saw it on another forum (Bark at the Moon or FoxPro). Thanks for your input.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good and all, BUT like Jrb mentioned, the largest percentage of predator hunters cringe at the idea of spending a couple hundred on E-callers, so to expect very many to splurge a couple thousand just to possibly up thier odds while night hunting will be like pulling teeth from a pissed off rhino.
There is a large percentage of night hunters in TX., but I think that most other states will have a much higher percentage of day time hunters!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

The cheap way out. find a really good flashlight that is bright and cheap. then buy painters tape and a roll of green creram wrap from the food store. Now take the wrap and fold it about 4 times and tape it to the flashlight and then tape the flashlight to the gun. I use it with my 9mm rifle and just did it to my shotgun to hunt for a varmit that is tearing up our yard.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

wasn't this already posted about a month ago? i distinctly remember commenting on something exactly like this.

Ya, I am with you. I believe I replied as well.