Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.17HMR for yotes

Old 04-11-2007, 08:16 AM

Default .17HMR for yotes

i have a .17HMR and i was wondering if it was big enough for coyotes is think it is but i could be wrong
Old 04-11-2007, 09:28 AM

Default RE: .17HMR for yotes

Yes......but just like anything else, you have to respect it's limitations. I think it is a little irresponsible to take recomendations from the internet and take it as gospel, the best information is obtained through ones own testing.

Not taking a jab here in any way, I'm just speaking in general.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I would select the .204 over the .17..
Old 04-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

I use a 22mag and i do alright, you need to work a little harder at getting them closer for that shot. adds to the thrill, you already have the gun give it a try.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:21 PM

ya i already have the gun a usually use my 7mm-08 butit dose to much damage so
Old 04-12-2007, 04:56 AM

IT WOULD WORK BUT I WOULDN'T TRY IT MORE THAN 100 YARDS
Old 04-12-2007, 05:50 PM

me and my buddy are the local .17hmr junkies and we both regularly carry our Marlin 917s afield for coyote. The key is as mentioned is know limitations. The hollow points seem to get abit more penetration where as the v-max just kinda explodes. Unless there is no alternative though I always lay the crosshairs on a coyotes noggin'. I don't want wounded runners and the headshot is VERY effective from a .17hmr. Just practice at all ranges you expect to shoot and try to work your way down in target size. I know at the 65yard range from the bench we take our targets down by shooting the staples or tacks.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Sure "il coyote" the best way to test something is to try it yourself...unfortunately testing the 17HMR as a calling rifle will likely result in several wounded coyotes before you hang it up and get a real coyote capable round. Nothing screams irresponsible like half a dozen coyotes with infected splash wounds on their face and shoulder blades.

Asking the question here was a good way to prevent crippling game- historically those who hypothosize on the viability ofa squirrel round for coyotesare inexperienced themselves. Those who have tried it, or shot many coyotes with other calibers, know the HMR has never been a reasonable choice for consitantly hunting coyote sized game.

Good luck with whatever you do butI wouldn't carry an HMR while hunting coyotes.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:51 AM

Do you do all of your 'testing' only on live animals in hunting situations??? Ever shoot paper to 'test' your accuracy?? I'd sure hope so, it's the responsible thing to do.

A question was asked, and now there are opposing views for an answer. What would you recomend he do now??? Give it up all together?Buy something else that is more to your liking? Or maybe he should take what he already has, experiment with different ranges ON PAPER, bricks, milk jugs filled with water, etc.and adjust his hunting to that? Will a well placed shot within the range he determinesto beacceptable NEVER kill a coyote?

Maybe his shooting range is very limited by the terrain he hunts, maybe he chooses to wait for a close shot, he could be used to calling them to within bow range, no one knows for sure but him.

Do infected splash wounds to the face and shoulder blades say more about the weapon or the hunter? Is it more responsible to take well placed shots within a rifles acceptable range that you've determined by yourselfor to justdrill them 'somewhere' with a much largercaliber?

I never said that asking the question here was bad, Iactually gave him an answer. I also gave him a little more advice that may even help him down the road instead of giving him a discouraging 'No, but good luck'.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:58 PM
RJH

I would say that it is not the responsible thing to do. It can probably kill a yote but probably not an ethically. As a living creature the coyote deserves more than to have a horrible splash wound I mean you could probably hit but it is not suited for coyotes. What I think Il coyote is saying is that sometimes you have to actuallyhave to do some shooting to find the limitations of the round on your own. And don't use live animals.

Quick Reply: .17HMR for yotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.