Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.22 LR VS. Yote?

Old 03-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default .22 LR VS. Yote?

Just a quick question kids. I live in the burbs and have yotes in the backyard every day. I have had them in thecross hairs of a.308 and have looked down the barrel of a 12g with an xtra full turkey choke but am just to concerned about the noise to pop them.
I am hoping to get the thumbs up from you folks on whether or not a 50yard lung shot /w a .22 is reasonable. ( I want the skull ). up or down?
Old 03-23-2007, 10:06 AM

Default RE: .22 LR VS. Yote?

I'm not a yote pro but I wouldn't recommend anything but a head shot on 'em with a 22. I have some pretty close neighbors and pop off shots with my 12g all the time in my backyard at rabbits and nobody cares. Just ask them. Chances are if they have kids they could be easily convinced to let you kill a "wild predator that's roamin the neighborhood."
Old 03-23-2007, 11:02 AM

The range is really close and I'm assuming you would have a good rest. I have to agree with the head shot and even a good neck shot will put them down. A lung shot will result in the coyote running off. He will eventually die but a little too slowly for a humane kill. Use something hot like a CCI Mini Mag or even a CCI Stinger and don't pull the trigger unless you have a "perfect" head shot on a motionless coyote. In the back yard, OK but don't hunt with a .22 LR.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:20 PM

wack him with a cci stinger behind the shulder and he's going to be in a bad way. those things will take the head off a rabbit so theyed kill a yote.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yip,a s was already statedif you shoot them broadside in the lungs, they will run like ya never touched them BUT they will die with no blood trail. If you want to achor them with a 22 lr, head shots only!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 PM

if this is an option, try to find a large cage trap or something that you can trap it with then take it out in the country, then......THWOP
Old 03-24-2007, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm partial to the Bang Flop, what happened philososophy. Go claim it a good time afer u banged it an no one will know what happened

Just my $0.02 worth.

Then again, I live in the middle of nowhere and no one cares what happens as long as there is a dead 'yote in the picture!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

use the ccl stingerworks great I've seen coyotes die on the spot with shoulder shots with a .22 were starting to get lazy in our coyote group and carrying .22 pistols and other light guns we killed 4 coyotes with a .22 one was done at 75 yards with ammo that was just laying around
Old 03-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

use the ccl stingerworks great I've seen coyotes die on the spot with shoulder shots with a .22 were starting to get lazy in our coyote group and carrying .22 pistols and other light guns we killed 4 coyotes with a .22 one was done at 75 yards with ammo that was just laying around
I wonder how many were hit that the lazy guys didn't even know were hit and didn't bother tracking far enough to verify if they were hit.
A coyote can take a 22lr., any ammo, and run like it wasn't even touched! More coyotes will run when shot by a 22 lr. then will be DYT!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

I killed one once with a 22LR. He was movin and i hit him several times.. wouldn;t suggest it.

Quick Reply: .22 LR VS. Yote?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.