Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote hunter problems

Old 03-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: coyote hunter problems

I don't doubt that occasionally coyote hunters might ruin a deer hunt, but I also think that some deer hunters (my father for example) will use any dog barking within a mile of their stand as an excuse for not bagging a deer that day.
That's the way I see it too, Lanse
Old 03-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Phil its good to know that i will have a little company underneath the pile-on that should be starting any time now
Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

il coyote
please excuse me,if I'm not understanding this right, you said that most groups you know don't run dogs for the sheer sport of it, they do it to kill lots of coyotes. So it is actualy a job for them. to do this. so if its work to them,and I don't want them running there dogs on my property anyway , why are they getting bent out of shape. when I ask them not to do it ?

ORIGINAL: il coyote

Stevie, I see the point you're trying to make, and if you read some of my posts on this topic you'll see my opinion, but you cant ask a question in the way you did and get straightfoward answers. There aren't only 2 ways to answer that question.

Raising coyotes in a fenced in area for people to shoot isn't a good resolution. We want less out there, not more. Most groups I know of don't run dogs for the sheer sport of it, they do it to kill lots of coyotes. And that's fine by me, go where ever you need to kill the coyotes, but just wait untill after the other seasons close and most of these problems go away.

I hate coyotes just as much as anyone, I kill everyone I can, but it rubs me the wrong way when dogs that dont have permission come running like a bull with it's hair on fire through private ground when I'mbow hunting with a month and a half left in the season, and then the handler drives overwet fields to ask me if I saw where they went.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:08 PM

"So it is actualy a job for them."

No, it ain't a job for them. Very few people hunt coyotes as an occupation. Folks hunt coyotes for sport and rid the country of some of the predators.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Cascade,

In my personal experience, you hear some barking, then a pack of dogs comes running like hell thru that specific spot and are out of earshot in a few minutes. Any shooting occurs along a point in the road where the hunters cut off the coyote. Others don't even use guns. They let the regular hounds tire the coyote out somewhat, then when it goes across a very large clear area, they will turn lose greyhounds to quickly run it down and drop it until the other dogs get there to finish it off. In both scenarios, the hunters have some choice in terms of exactly where the coyote will be killed. But, obviously they can't control where the dogs run while chasing the coyote and therein lies the problem.

The only firsthand knowledge that i have of coyote dogs influencing a deer hunt was when my friend had about two dozen deer flushed right toward his stand by coyote dogs. I don't doubt that occasionally coyote hunters might ruin a deer hunt, but I also think that some deer hunters (my father for example) will use any dog barking within a mile of their stand as an excuse for not bagging a deer that day.
My question is IF the landowner gives all thedogs an acute case oflead poisoning, how would you feel? A little upset? Who's land is it anyway?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is whyI would contact the aurthorities so they could witness what you did to my hunting dog/s and make sure I get a check later. Have you read any of the past posts on here? Do you like playing repeat allbecause you do not like dog hunting period. Sorry about your luck but alot of folks hunt with dogs on here whether hunting coyotes, rabbits, or birds. I think you have a right to believe what you want but, why don't you look at the real issues you have and not keep dreaming up ways to distroy other folks way of hunting. Do you hunt at all?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:22 PM

I'd shoot the yote the dogs were chasin and go up to the houndsman and say thanks! I don't think you should shoot the dogs, their just following orders. What you should do is give that pic to the cops and say you want to press charges.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

I think we can all agree, coyotes are a problem, more so in some area's than others. but, if we nearly eradicate the entire coyote population. the Federal Governments gonna step in and put them on the endangered species list ( Like the Timberwolf ) and spend millions of our tax dollarsstudying this matter.
Kinda makes you think.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

That is whyI would contact the aurthorities so they could witness what you did to my hunting dog/s and make sure I get a check later. Have you read any of the past posts on here? Do you like playing repeat allbecause you do not like dog hunting period. Sorry about your luck but alot of folks hunt with dogs on here whether hunting coyotes, rabbits, or birds. I think you have a right to believe what you want but, why don't you look at the real issues you have and not keep dreaming up ways to distroy other folks way of hunting. Do you hunt at all?
Wow, I guess I hit a nerve, huh? I didn't say I would shoot the dogs, I said "the landowner" of which I am not. If I were, I would have serious heartburn over hunters like yourself that think you and your dogs can go anywhere you want because you are killing coyotes.

As for destoying your way of hunting, I have absolutely no problem other than the fact that you apparently have no regard for someone elses property. Do it on your own land or public land, go for it. Run your dogs though other's property, ESPECIALLY during other hunting seasons and I think you are wrong.

And sorry, I do have three dogs, one is a lab that I HUNT with. And when I am hunting, I DO NOT TRESPASS.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:38 PM

By the way, those are my boys, not me.

Quick Reply: coyote hunter problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.