Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

eating squirrels.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:02 AM

Default RE: eating squirrels.

Like Rebel Hog said, we've always boiled them, breaded them and fried them. Then we would make gravy from the grease to pour over mashed potatoes and homemade biscuits. We would usually have rabbit and squirrel together and it would be so good that we would have to lay down to eat it.

As for parasites, we never squirrel hunted until after the first heavy frost. Some squirrel get "wolves" just under the skin. This is kind of like a ring-worm (or maybe it is one)but they are gone after a good cold spell.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Reefdonkey

As for parasites, we never squirrel hunted until after the first heavy frost. Some squirrel get "wolves" just under the skin. This is kind of like a ring-worm (or maybe it is one)but they are gone after a good cold spell.
Those would be "warbles". They are the larval stage of bot flys.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:09 PM

I always wondered if it was a dialect thing or not, but growing up around here it always sounded like "wolves". Thanks.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saving the tails is good but nothing tasts like squirrel.If i shoot em up too much i at least take the hind leggs. Put em in a roaster with water and dry onion soup mix.let em cook slow all day and bring a bib.Youre gonna be drewling!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Reefdonkey

I always wondered if it was a dialect thing or not, but growing up around here it always sounded like "wolves". Thanks.
Yep! we call them "wolves" on Rabbits also!You reckon nohillbilly eats "Ramps"?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:50 PM

I didn't know if it was due to my redneck upbringing. For example myGrandma (rest her soul) would almost be ready to fight if you cleaned a mess of squirels and didn't save her the brains.

That woman loved some brains and eggs.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose if you boil brains they would be kinda like greasy dumplins.My grandma always made headcheese when we butchered anything big.We loved it.But now i dont know how to make it.I sure miss it though.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

We used to soak them in salted ice water overnight, bread, season and fry them. One of my favorite meals!

I live out west now and pine squirrels just don't make the cut. They taste about the same, but you have to whack quite a few to make a meal. A lot of folks out here just look at you funny when you tell them squirrel or frog legs are good eatin'.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog
You reckon nohillbilly eats "Ramps"?
We call them Leeksup here. I've had em in soup.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:36 AM

We just fry them and eat them with eggs and grits.

Quick Reply: eating squirrels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.