Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

eating squirrels.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:02 AM

Default eating squirrels.

ok guys... never done it before... kinda curious... when eating squirrels... is there things to watch out for? parasites?[:-]

ummmmm..... certain ways to cook them? I've skinned them when i was a kid but my dad would never eat them so i wouldn't either but they always looked tasty... nice fleshy meat... what do they taste like?[>:]

can you cook'em over a camp fire? dry roast them?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: eating squirrels.

one good method for cooking squirrels is to first boil the meat and take the meat off the bones.

to me, it just tasts like chicken.

Im always careful about any lead shot or small peices of bone that may have been enlodged in the meat. That doesnt tast too good.[:'(]
Old 02-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Double roll itinSeasoned Drake Batter and fry it justlike Southern Fried Chicken!Ummmmmm Boyyyyyyyyy
Old 02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

I've often wondered about this subject myself. When we go squirrel hunting, my buddy and I clean and give the squirrels to one of the older members of his church that is no longer able to get out and squirrel hunt. To me, that leaves a better taste in my mouth than actually eating them though. However, should we get a good amount this year, I may try 'em.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:13 PM

I shoot them with the shotgun and then just take their tails. Eating them is a waste of time but I've heard they can be good.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:19 PM

Trust me, eating them is not a waste of time! Older ones can be pretty tough, but the young ones are great. Just flour them up and fry them. And don't forget to make gravy out of the drippings. And whop'em biscuits.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Spike

My brother made a squirrel pot pie a few weeks ago. He boiled the meat in chicken broth and then pulled it from the bone. Put it in a crust with veggies and it was really good. My wife ate it with out any hesitation. We told her after and she was suprised. Tasted like chicken she said.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: southpaw193

My wife ate it with out any hesitation. We told her after and she was suprised. Tasted like chicken she said.
Brave man
Old 02-02-2007, 05:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I pressure cook them until fall off the bone tender, then either fry them like chicken or make a stew.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I split them down the middle and marinade them in Caribean Jerk marinade for a couple of hours. After that it's grill time. YUMMY!!

Quick Reply: eating squirrels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.