Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Ohio Coyote Hunting......HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! >

Ohio Coyote Hunting......HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Ohio Coyote Hunting......HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:06 AM

Default Ohio Coyote Hunting......HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in south western Ohio right beside Indiana and i went hunting this morning and nothing!!!! Can someone please help me out. I did everything right as far as i know. The wind was in my favor, used scent elimination, did a little howling and challenge barks, did some cottontail distress. What am i doing wrong???????????? Any advice would help. I did see 2 deer that didnt really care to much about my coyote call. What is some of your calling techniques, calling sequences? Please help, Any advice is good!!!! Thanks any info would be good from anyone from anywhere. Just give me a little advice. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:39 PM

Default RE: Ohio Coyote Hunting......HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

can someone please help out? lol
Old 01-23-2007, 04:56 PM

jake yote huntin in ya area isnt like out west .... not the numbers and environment is diff .... also ya not gonna have a yote runnin in on ya at every set-up .... just get out there and keep going at it ... the more ya do it the better ya will get .... i do know the yote population in ya area is at an all time high .... good luck to ya !
Old 01-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

you went out one time and you're upset you didnt see a coyote.. you need to hit 10-15 setups maybe more before you see a coyote.. this hunting in the east is nothing like the hunting out west.. you gotta be extremely patient.. you probably did nothing wrong.. the coyote numbers are just lower so you have to work for one..
Old 01-23-2007, 07:42 PM

try some female invitation howls
Old 01-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jake, I'd suggest buying a calling video and watching and listeneing to how to do it and what to expect. Like was said, you will probably need to do several sets in order to expect to call even just onecoyote.
I'd highly recommend going to www.Keescalls.com and order his "Hunting the East" video. The guy that made this video lives in Southern Ohio and he goes through a lot of the steps and procedures of calling in the type of country that you live in. the video is about $20, but if it helps you jump a few steps forward in the learning curve of calling, then it shouldbe well worth it!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: jake smith09

First you need to start out with a couple howls. After that start doing the distress calls. I gaurantee it will work for you. maybe not every time but more times than not!!!!!! GIVE US AN UPDATE AND TELL US WHAT TECHNIQUE YOU UESD TO GET UM!~!~!~!~!!!!!!
I thought you had it all figured out
Old 01-24-2007, 02:21 PM

Crittergiter i just wanted to know some different techniques and fingerz42 i didnt only go to one setup i went on many setups over the period of the past few weeks. I just want some different valuable information on how to hunt these critters!!!! Thanks
Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 PM

Jake,like others have said, you have to hit numerous setups sometimes before getting a response. Other times, the response is immediate. There are many other factors that may come into play as well, such as critters who have a full belly and are not interested (which generally require much longer periods of calling), lack of 'yotes in the immediate area, or obstacles that may block sound from carrying very far. Because of some of these factors, what type layout do most of your setups consist of, and how long on average are you calling at each setup?
Old 01-25-2007, 03:50 PM

I usually call at the edge of one woods toward another with surrounding fields most of the time. I usually call for 1 hour due to the fact that there arent big packs of yotes around here.

Quick Reply: Ohio Coyote Hunting......HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.