Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Ohio Coyote Hunting......HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! >

Ohio Coyote Hunting......HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Ohio Coyote Hunting......HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 AM

Default RE: Ohio Coyote Hunting......HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

More help please!!!!!
Old 01-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

So are you totally against spending $20 on a video that shows you the ins and outs of calling coyotes in your area?
Unless you have someone that you've gone calling with that know's what they are doing, then you'll continue to struggle. Buying a video like I suggested is the best advice I can give ya! It's better than banging your head over the lack of success, that much I can garauntee you!! Getting written advice on the internet isn't the best way to learn! Watching and hearing how it's done is much better!
Old 01-28-2007, 02:13 PM

i will eventually do that but i allready know how to call fairly well. I have called in a few dogs with it (cottontail distress) but thats about it. ive talked back and forth with yotes on a couple occasions but no show.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did everything right as far as i know.
This right here tells me a lot! As far as you know you aren't doing anything wrong, BUT if you're not calling them in far enough to get a shot, wouldn't you want to know more?
Suit yourself. I've been calling predators for over 20 years and I still pick up little tid bits of info. from hunting with other callers! Mostly new sounds, BUT there's ne better way to learn than to see and hear how others do it, especially if they are successful in your area!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:53 PM

well one reason that im not calling them in very much is that im in Ohio (no big packs, very wide spread). They say coyotes are at an all time high in ohio which they are but there still isnt that many in one spot for very long. Thats alot of my problem which i understand. I will get a vid pretty soon. That one that you mentioned earlier. Thanks for that by the way!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:53 PM

More comments accepted. Thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Up until this winter I have only baited dogs, ran them on sleds or shot them incidentally, but I am learning how to call. I find it exciting, although I have not successfully called one in yet. The first thing I did was get a DVD (calling all coyotes), don't know if it is the best, but you gotta start somewhere. I also subscribed to a trapping and predator hunter mag. (18.75 a year, 12 issues, amazon.com).

My father-in-law is quite the caller/coyote buster, and although we live far apart, I have had the opportunity to go calling with him a time or two. Very interesting and informative. The coyotes are rutting right now where I live, so I assume it must be similar whereyou are. Ithink this might improve your chances, especially if you follow the advice of the guy who suggested the female coyote lingo.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if "rutting" is the appropriate term as ruttin usually refers to deer or cattle. But yes, coyote mating season is right now. Prime time for calling too.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:36 AM

keep calling and keep the scent control to a minimum 30min. you should get a target
Old 02-02-2007, 05:29 PM

I live in the western part ofohio just out of celina about 10 min from the indiana border and im new to coyote hunting also i've went out a few times calling and got nothing but i've went out pushing woods once and we got two like that in about 2 hrs.