Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

what kind of gun for cyotes??

Old 01-28-2007, 08:00 AM

Default RE: what kind of gun for cyotes??

ORIGINAL: wihunter1388

And what ever you get, dont use a FMJ they just bounce off the ground until they hit something hard like tree or house
What?
Old 01-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coyote will fall to lots of things, but many locals seem to favor the commercial M16 variants where they want a quick followup shot. I have been surprised at the accuracy some of these produce. Otherwise, I use a bolt action myself. I don't hunt with FMJ at all. I like things that blow up.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:17 PM

It all depends on what your looking for. Most bolt action rifles are more accurate than a AR-15's, AR-15's can throw more lead....... like i said it depends on what you want. I personally use a Savage 10FP .223 Tactical. I love it, I can hit yotes way out there. It has a 1-9 twist ratio. Its crazy what .223's can do to small rodents and bigger animals! I would suggest a Bolt action Savage. I have a few savages and i love them all, they are all tack drivers!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used bolt actions only, up until about 3 years ago when I got to borrow my buddys AR-10 .243! I have now fallen to the black side, the new AR's can shoot as well as any factory bolt gun, and the quick follow up shotsare well worth it, since we get many mulitple coyotes coming in every season.My next gun will be an ARin the .204!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:54 PM

The only gun I have shot for coyotes is a Remington 788 .243 it works great!!
Old 02-03-2007, 11:59 PM
RJH

I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .22 mag for a rimfire gun, I would be worried about bullet "splash" the 17 mach and hmr but I'm not sure what is available as far as suitable coyote ammo. I could be wrongas I don't have one and don't stay up with availabe rounds.Centerfire you could use anything from the .17's on up. It is all about bullet selection and what you want to do with the hides I suppose.I use an AR15 in .223 made by Dtech if you are looking for a AR I highly recommend him he makes very nice guns and he is on predatormasters just do a search on dtech. I also use asavage model 12 bvssthey areawsome guns for the money. I sold my abolt and do not miss it at all.I use a 12 gauge shotgun also. Warning AR's are very addictive the only reason I still use a bolt gun is because AR's are illegal in my county. Have fun.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wihunter1388

I hunt in a fox/coyote group, we run dogs and have a mixture of woods/fields if any one has an AR-15 we dont let them hunt because they are loud and you could easily loose control of your shots and hit something intentionally. I have seen it done before. And what ever you get, dont use a FMJ they just bounce off the ground until they hit something hard like tree or house
Go with the bolt action .223 or .243 most sporting goods sell ammo and .223 is cheap but you could also use a .30/06 with 50 grain ammo but they are so unaccurate its tough hitting a pie pan at 100 yards with it
You make NO sense AT ALL!!! First off you said they hit stuff INtentionally, I think you mean UNintentionaly. Second, whta is a FMJ, If its an automatic I can understand you hammer the trigger and dont hold on to the gun. Sorry to take over the thread switchback

I personally park in the middle of a big open field with the creek running along the side and sit in the back of my truck, lean up against the roof and use my 7mm Rem. Mag with a bipod attached and take'm out!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:23 AM

Icetrey, FMJ refers to "full metal jacket", which is a type of bullet.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: RemingtonDoesItAgain

well if you want to keep the animal for hide or mount i would tell you this, any .17 to .25 caliber including 6mm. but the ultimate coyote rifle to me is a Remington 700 VSSF II in .22-250 Remington.witha Leupold VX-24-12x50mm scope. if you have seen any coyote hunting video i guarentee you will see at least one of these. I mean if Randy Anderson carries one then you should consider it.
WHO is Randy Anderson?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:16 PM

He's only one of the BEST coyote callers, hes with Primos have you not
herdof the Randy Anderson series call, hot dog, Ki-Yi, lit dog, ringn a bell!

Quick Reply: what kind of gun for cyotes??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.