Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

what kind of gun for cyotes??

Old 01-19-2007, 10:35 AM

Default what kind of gun for cyotes??

I was wondering what kind of gun you think would be good for cyote hunting. A bolt action in .223 rem. or a semi-auto in .223 like an ar15?
I have kinda wanted a customized ar-15 but never really had the need for one. id want one of the flat top recievers so i could mount a scope on it just like id do with a bolt action.
just wanted to hear your thoughts on it.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:50 AM

Default RE: what kind of gun for cyotes??

First, both firearms you mentioned would work just fine.

Second, an 'acceptable' coyote rifle depends on your intentions. You could use anything from a 17 hmr to a 12 ga. slug to a 45/70. it all depends on what you are wanting to accomplish as far as hide damage, the distance of your shots, and possibly what you may already have in the safe.

Out West??? Super long range shots???I'd certainly go with a nice, accurate weapon in the realm of a 22 centerfire.

Close range, timbered areas??? Heck, just about anything would work fine, as long as you can do your part.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:06 AM

both open field and timber. I have a 270 and 30-06 bolt guns in the safe but didnt want to fiddle with sights after working up a light bullet fast load for cyotes so I thought about getting a cyote gun. .223 would be acceptible I think. shots could go far maybe 500 yards easy in the fields. I really dont want the cyotes just trying to thin them out really. I know a lot of farmers that cant stand the noise no more so I really need to get out there a kill some cyotes. the 270 will get the job done but it drops 12 inches at 300 w/ a 100 yard zero w/ off the shelf ammo, 130 grain bullet. the bullet will go out the other side most definatly and I like to have a round perfectly suited to the game I hunt so the bullet just doesent punch out the other side. less worry about whats a mile down range of that shot, you know? so would a .223 be that kind of round with the off the shelf SP 55 grain bullets? maybe 55 grain HP bullets like hornaday or speer?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: switchbackXT_shooter

I was wondering what kind of gun you think would be good for cyote hunting. A bolt action in .223 rem. or a semi-auto in .223 like an ar15?
I have kinda wanted a customized ar-15 but never really had the need for one. id want one of the flat top recievers so i could mount a scope on it just like id do with a bolt action.
just wanted to hear your thoughts on it.
Both would make great coyote rifles when properly equipped. Whatever you get, make sure you top it with a good scope.

The biggest difference will be in price. You can probably purchase a good bolt action rifle and equip it with a scope for about the same as just the AR will cost you.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt in a fox/coyote group, we run dogs and have a mixture of woods/fields if any one has an AR-15 we dont let them hunt because they are loud and you could easily loose control of your shots and hit something intentionally. I have seen it done before. And what ever you get, dont use a FMJ they just bounce off the ground until they hit something hard like tree or house
Go with the bolt action .223 or .243 most sporting goods sell ammo and .223 is cheap but you could also use a .30/06 with 50 grain ammo but they are so unaccurate its tough hitting a pie pan at 100 yards with it
Old 01-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: wihunter1388

if any one has an AR-15 we dont let them hunt because they are loud and you could easily loose control of your shots and hit something intentionally. I have seen it done before.
An AR-15 in .223 is louder than a bolt action in .223, or .243 or .30-06?

In what way are you suggesting that someone "could easily loose (sic) control of their shots"?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:28 PM

well if you want to keep the animal for hide or mount i would tell you this, any .17 to .25 caliber including 6mm. but the ultimate coyote rifle to me is a Remington 700 VSSF II in .22-250 Remington.witha Leupold VX-24-12x50mm scope. if you have seen any coyote hunting video i guarentee you will see at least one of these. I mean if Randy Anderson carries one then you should consider it.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

If you are hunting farm land and cattle pastures. good old 3030 and open cab tractor is the way to go. That how i hunt the coyotes on my familys farm.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

i use a bolt 243 and a Ar-15. Both are great.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wihunter1388

I hunt in a fox/coyote group, we run dogs and have a mixture of woods/fields if any one has an AR-15 we dont let them hunt because they are loud and you could easily loose control of your shots and hit something intentionally. I have seen it done before. And what ever you get, dont use a FMJ they just bounce off the ground until they hit something hard like tree or house
Go with the bolt action .223 or .243 most sporting goods sell ammo and .223 is cheap but you could also use a .30/06 with 50 grain ammo but they are so unaccurate its tough hitting a pie pan at 100 yards with it
this makes absolutely no sense.

Quick Reply: what kind of gun for cyotes??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.