Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Desperate yotes

Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Desperate yotes

Anybody else iced in or snowed in. We are here in OK. Started w/ freezing rain and sleet on Friday morning. The coyotes seem to be getting a little desperate for a good meal.

We called in 5 today. They may be hungry, but they are not dumb. 1 kill @ 270 yds w/ .243 and 70 gr speer HP. The farmer we hunt on also killed one this morning with his 22-250.

Anybody else have any luck in the bad weather this week?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Desperate yotes

This past Fri. and Sat. we saw and called in more than any other weekend so far. We have lots of snow, and have had for 4 weeks now, and these really cold temps. have really got them in need of more food! It makes for some great action.
On edit, we've been having to wear snowshoes to hunt on the eastern plains of CO. for the last 4 weeks! We've now had around 44" of snow in the last month!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:38 PM

I hear ya, the ice and sleet is terrible. We did manage to get out and do a little bit of calling before dark Mon. night.Called in a pair, buddy shot, coyote was hit, coyote ran off, followed blood trail, coyote stopped bleeding, lost damn coyote, cussed buddy for bad shot! Oh well, there's always next time.Hopefully we can get out sometime after this next snowstorm blows through and try out the new psycho tweety!!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:31 AM

Man that really sounds like fun, hunting yotes in freezing cold and snow. I wished I was doing that right now.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:57 PM

Is that sarcasm I detect, or am I interpreting your post wrong?
Old 01-17-2007, 06:37 PM

wish it would snow here too.I want to hunt yotes in it!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler

This past Fri. and Sat. we saw and called in more than any other weekend so far. We have lots of snow, and have had for 4 weeks now, and these really cold temps. have really got them in need of more food! It makes for some great action.
On edit, we've been having to wear snowshoes to hunt on the eastern plains of CO. for the last 4 weeks! We've now had around 44" of snow in the last month!
`I am from Pueblo, and went east of here on 96 to where I used to live. Still alot of snow on the ground and was able to call 5 of them. Three were in one pack and I was able to shoot one, the others ran off. Two more were heading towards me before a tractor hauling a dead cow scared them two off. Can't wait until this weekend.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

I got a bobcat today. We walked into this hay meadow to do some calling and spotted it at 350-400 yds. We set up to call it and tried everything in the bag for about 15-20 minutes and it wouldn't respond. We moved about 50 yards closer and tried calling again, nothing. About this time it started pouncing around and digging in the snow for a mouse or something, so I decided to move a little closer for a shot. I moved along in the brush until there was a clearing. I took the shot at about 200 yds. I was a little dissapointed that the bullet blew a hole about the size of a softball in it's side, no exit hole. Hides are bringing about $140, I think. Anybody know how much less it will bring with a big hole in it's side?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:49 AM

It will probably be discounted quite a bit. What were you shooting?