Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coon's how to trap em

Old 11-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coon's how to trap em

well,

set out my live trap and checked it 2 days in a row by a creek. still no coons. I put a can of tuna fish in it the first night. got a rain and second night refreshed it with more tuna that was left over. went last night to check it and still nothing. I had an old can of cat food and was gonna put it in the trap but the darn tab broke off and I couldn't open the can (LOL). will check them tomorrow. my wife sat on her deer stand and saw 3 foxes. HMMM, would like to trap one of them too but got to get these coons first. I have multiple feeders out and the coons are tearing them up. gonna get some marshmellows next time we go to wally world. I haven't purchased anyleg traps yet. may get a few this a.m as our local feed store has them. will keep ya'll up to date.

p.s canis nice picts and that is a whole lotta fur.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:26 PM

thanx ark ....good luck to ya
Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 AM

The cat food works great. Like someone else has said, they will chew thier paws off from stress. Having the corn will keep them busy until you collect your traps. You could let coon hunters run thier dogs and thin them out also. That's what we do here.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Spike

EGGS WORK GOOD
Old 11-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the replys. I haven't had time to rebait here lately. plan to soon and will post pict and success.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:53 PM

its all about the little debbie honey buns.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:31 PM

We use vanilla wafers. To bad you can't bring the coons to us!! We need more out here (no joke) to run the coon dogs on. We trap them and bring them to a safe farm to let the dogs tree.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Hey guys,
I am looking to get a trap for coons that I can set up easy. I dont want to go into the woods and scare the deer and turkey, so I am wanting to put the trap in a field next to the cabin. I am looking at cutting into the coon population because the coons are cutting into the turkey and quail eggs.

Thanks for all the great info!

Willie
Old 12-11-2006, 07:48 PM

I have not trap but I really want to get into it. My Uncle is a avide trapper an tells me to use a #220 Conibear and a 5 gallon bucket. Cut slits in the side to hold the trap. Best bait choped up fish, go to the local lake and catch perch or blue gill. Throw in the back of the bucket, set and place near a hackberry tree or trees with animal droppings. Remember to stake it and lay the bucket down on the grownd. Best not to have dogs running free, good chance they will get caught. Other than that you will have the coons caught.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

The bodygripper in a bucket can be really effective, but may not be a good choice around feeders. Deer can be curious and while not normally inclinded to see your bait as something to eat, you don't want a small deer sticking its head in the bucket out of curiousity.

I'd shut the feeders down for a while and then use the corn as your bait. Gang set so you can get several in one shot. If using footholds, you could use a dirt hole set, but use corn down the hole instead of a more traditional lure or bait. The deer may mess with your sets though. A bit of molasses, maple syrup, and honey makes for a decent coon lure/bait. Add a bit of anise oil and/or vanilla.

Quick Reply: Coon's how to trap em

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.