Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coon's how to trap em

Old 11-05-2006, 05:07 PM

Default RE: Coon's how to trap em

ORIGINAL: crew

my favorite method is either using honey buns, or get you a cheap box of sandwich bags and a bottle of maple surype and fill the bag 1/4 full of it then poke tiny little holes in it. it will last for ever and i guarinte that you will catch one. i used it in all of my traps and catch one every night
Bears also love sweat treats,,Might cost you a trap if they pick up on that scent though...
Old 11-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

I like to use #1 coils for coon. they are small and very easy to set. I have caught some real hogs with those things and had no trouble holding them. I think the steel legholds are going to be your best bet you can clean them out quicker. I also think gang setting is your best bet. Coons are pretty agressive by nature and can be caught very easily human sent doesnt seem to bother them as much as it does the fox and coyote. As far as a good bait to use try mixing some fishy smelling canned cat food with honey and a couple of broken eggs this has worked just fine for me in the past. Good luck I hope get rid of the coon problem you are having.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

the store around here only sells the coil trap that has no gap b/t the jaws. when you set these traps do you put the lure on the pedal (trip). how and where do you set your bait in relation to your trap?? Do you have to check em daily? Can I go 2 days in b/t checking them? thanks for the help. p.s canis sent you email but never heard back from you.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:32 PM

two years ago i live trapped coons for fun, and every night i set the trap i caught a coon. i had that exact havahart trap and i jus threw in one or two jumbo marshmellows. on occasion id add a apple slice to the marshmellows. anything sweet will work, but marshmellows are the cheapest/best bait to use.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use the trap Rebel Hog said. They work really well. A can of catfood, sardines, bacon, or marshmallows are what I use.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:56 AM

sorry man ...didnt get the email ...was out of town mushroom huntin over the weekend .... waitin for duck season to open back up .... as far as checkin ya traps check on ya regs ... i believe its illegal to check there every 48 hrs ... even with drowning rigs and/or killer type traps .... as far as bait placement .... ya can do it many ways with the footholds ... and if i were you id use a drag ... take 14 ga wire .... double it and cut a section that is 4 -6' long wire it to ya trap chain..... dig a hole 3" -4" in the ground ... hole being at a 45 degree angle .... dig a trap bed out .... just large enuff for ya trap to fit .... then cut a small trench for ya trap chain to lie in .... set ya trap in the bed .... make sure the trap is solid .... dont want it tippin at all ... if the trap moves push dirt under the loose jaw, frame, etc to get it rigid .... just make sure ya dont pack it under the trap pan ... reason for doing this is ... if the coon steps on any part of the trap besides the pan .... and the trap moves ...alot of time they will dig up the trap ... anyhoooo .... lay ya chain in the trench ya have cut .... and lay the drag (which ya wanna be heavy enuff for the coon to move it for a short distance then hang up .. for coons 5lbs or so will be fine can use bricks, log, etc) ....off to the side of the set ... the coons wont mind ... pretty stupid animal ... lol ... sift dirt over the trap and chain ... pack the dirt around the trap to make it solid ... again ... any loose soil the coon may step on before hittin the pan may cause diggin .... rember where ya pan is or leave it exposed .... reason for doing this is ya wanna know where ya pan is so ya can place guide objects to help guide the paw onto the pan ... as far as guides ... could be anything from a branch to a mud clod ... just make sure its not sumthin that will get lodged in the jaws when the trap fires .... place them to guide the paw .... if ya usin gloves .... take em off and place ya bait and/or lure into the hole ...if no gloves are used make sure ya wash ya hands before makin the next set ... dont wanna get any bait or lure scent on the next trap .... hope this helps a bit if any questions just contact me and ill try to explain more ....alot easier if i were there in front of ya showin ya how to do it .... i do have alot of video of me trappin and makin sets .... may be able to throw ya a vid together sumtime ...also ill be in ark in jan ... maybe if ya near the area ill be huntin we could get together and i can show ya sum pointers .... good luck and keep in touch
Old 11-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

#1 coil springs and #11 longsprings are too small for coons. I always use a 1.5 or 1.75 coil. # 1's are meant for mink and muskrat not coon. a big coon will pull right out of a #1. Haven't you lost any like that before?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:57 PM

Man me too the best i have found is peanut butter,,,they love it...
Old 11-07-2006, 05:42 PM

marshmellows work well, but old eggs work good. crack one and put it all over the inside of the cage and leave one or two inside that arent cracked. ull either catch a coon or a skunk...ivebeen doin it quite a while and havent caught a skunk,just have heard that skunks like eggs too.

[/align]
Old 11-07-2006, 09:54 PM

i have had pull outs from 11's and 1's .... but would rather have pull outs than ring offs .... 1.75's are too hard on em .... the 1 1/2's will work if ya know what ya doin .... and the 1's are a lil small but with right mods, drags, and sets they work great ... its the space under the trap jaws that i worry bout .... coons are notorious chewers ... if it were up to me id go with sum 220's .... this is a pic of 3 weeks of trappin while holdin down a 8-12 hrs a day job ... http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/morel_2006/?action=view&current=mushrooms749.jpg&refP age=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

Quick Reply: Coon's how to trap em

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.