Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

??do coyotes always (HOWL)????

Old 01-13-2002, 02:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default ??do coyotes always (HOWL)????

..Just a question??from a yote hunter want to be..In my area where i live they are just a few yotes,messing around maybe three have been killed.what time and where should i liston for them howling,i have went out at dusk with no luck,i just want to kill a yote,heck i cant find them.come on coyote seeker help me out here.....

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 01-13-2002, 04:41 AM

Default RE: ??do coyotes always (HOWL)????

I have only heard yotes howl two times in all my time in the woods.
get you a good call(dying rabbit,or coyote pup squeller)set up and call.
so answer to question,no they do not always howl.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-13-2002, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

in areas where coyote numbers are limited(such as alot of areas in the east)waiting for coyotes to sound of on there own you may grow old and die.i,m not sure of the circumstances in your area so i will tell you what i have to deal with in my area.the coyotes here do not make a habit of sounding off in early evening and never do during daylight hours.i have forced them a few times to answer in early evening by group howling,but as a general rule they won't.the reason why they are like this is there just to much human activity.i discoverd the best time to get them going is from around 2:30 am to about 5:00 am.its at this time that human activity is very limited or non existant.theres no trafic on the roads,no hikers,no farmers working the fields etc.its nice and quiet and they can move around and not be botherd.this isn't to say they don't move any other time of day becouse they do,they just aren't real vocal.my advice to you is get a group howl tape and hit different areas and see if you can get them going.try different times of the day and night also.group howling is the best way to get them to sound off,becouse they think another pack has moved in and they want you(the pack)out.so they will group howl back at you telling you that you are tresspassing and to get out.lone howling also works but in many cases they won't sound off at a single coyote.they will sneak in and attempt to run off or kill the intruder.when group howling they will first try to intimadate the tresspassing pack to leave by group howling back.they would rather avoid a pack to pack confrontation,this can and will get deadly.any tape player that plays clear and clean will work for this.run the tape at around 4 or 5 on the volume dial for around 30 to 50 seconds then when theres a lull in the tape(by lull i mean when theres a break,the coyotes slow down a bit)turn the volume down.NEVER!!! turn the player off before you turn the volume down.now listen for any thing to sound off.if nothing answers,do it again.if your in an area of wide open expance after one or two series at half volume try it again at 3/4 volume.coyote howling is a very loud thing,you can here it for miles somtimes.so don't be afraid to give it some volume.just make sure that the player sounds good at higher volumes.if it begins to break up and sound distorted back off the volume.low volume with clean sound is better then loud distorted unnatural sound.good luck and when that first pack answers you back you won't believe your ears.

Edited by - coyoteseeker on 01/13/2002 06:31:33
Old 01-13-2002, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

.Thanks coyotee man,im just getting starded,but i will give it a try......

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...