Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

A good dog for coyotes?

Old 01-08-2002, 06:25 PM

Default A good dog for coyotes?

Hey there fella's I want a good dog for trailing and denning coyotes. Also a decoy dog to worl with and run my traps with. So what's the best DOG????
Old 01-08-2002, 07:15 PM

Default RE: A good dog for coyotes?

I've never heard of using a "dog" to hunt "dog" (coyote) with. I guess it could work, but seeing that probably 99.9% of hunters in American do not use dogs when hunting coyote or bobcat I don't think you'll have any real luck in finding a good working dog.

Yeah, they use beagles on fox in the UK, but a fox is only a little bigger than a house cat (in general). trying to find a dog to go after a big coyote and chasing it for miles, may be tricky.

I'd get hound dogs and go after mt. lions instead. At least the lions will tree up somewhere. I think a coyote would just keep on running for a long long time. NOt worth the hassle in my opinion. I'd just try calling in another coyote somewhere else.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-09-2002, 03:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-09-2002, 04:59 AM

Running coyotes is very popular in south Texas. The folks i used to run with called it wolfhunting(most of them grew up in an era where wolf hunting was legal and there was actually an abundant supply of wolves in Texas) Most of the guys i ran with had running walkers and Plotts. Here in florida Running coyotes is even more popular since fox became illegal to shoot and kill, A guy I work with ran a "fox pen" several years ago and would buy live coyotes from trappers for real good money to stock his fox pen. Most of the oldtime foxhunters here now run yotes, We can still run fox but they are getting harder and harder to find, I watched a show about yote decoy dogs and they used black labs and curs, was unxure if the curs were blackmouth curs or mt curs but either is very trainable and would do the job
Old 01-09-2002, 04:56 PM

I think I had seen the same show as TreeRat did. There was to dogs and they would runs out in this field and start barking and making noise. In no time four coyotes can running out of some scrub. The dogs woould keep barking but they would slowly walk back to the shooter's. The shooter's took their time, cause the dogs keep the yotes occupied. Four dead yotes. I think the dogs where a black lab and a yellow lab. I'm positive any dog bigger then a coyote would work fine.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:02 AM
Fork Horn

Around here they run them with big hounds that look like giant beagles. Then the Airedales for kill dogs. Need them or some hounds will die when they corner the yotes. I have had airedales for over ten years now and would recommend them to anybody. Mine will hunt anything you want and even retrieve anything(deer included). Very hard headed but very trainable. The farmers around here keep the airedales as pets to keep the yotes away from the livestock. They love kids and would run traps with you. Good natured as hell untill they see something. They generally have bad eyes, ears, and nose compared to other specific breeds but are a great all around companion if you hunt a lot of diffent game. Just imagine a 70 pound chiwauwa.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:56 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-13-2002, 03:08 AM
Typical Buck

.Austrailian Shepperds,they are not scared of a yote......

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 01-13-2002, 04:38 AM

walker hounds work great in Fla.,we have lots of yotes.with several good fast walkers they will den up. it may take half the day or night.
mostly they don't want them to stop,just keep running.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.

Quick Reply: A good dog for coyotes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.