Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Az Prairie dogs

Old 06-15-2006, 06:44 PM

Default Az Prairie dogs

I Live in Arizona and have been wanting to do some varminting. i looked into prairie dogs but they werent in the regs. any advice?
Old 06-17-2006, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Az Prairie dogs

they are listed in the regs you just didnt look hard enough. they are listed under "Other birds & Mammals". the season is open from july 1, 2005 to june 30, 2006 im assuming the season is the same every year but... we should be gettng new regs here soon. hunting is open state wide except for units 7m, 37m, 39m and 42m. you have to have a general hunt licsence or combination hunt & fish licsence. in Maricopa county parks you are restricted to shotguns and archery only. The rest of the state you can use anything rifle, handgun, rimfire, shotgun, archery and traps just remember semi automatic center fire rifles are restricted to a 5 round magazine.

With the lack of moisture this year the populations are gonna be extremely low I would recommend good sportsman ethics and not hunt them untill populations get a chance to come back. But if you do decide to hunt them anyway they are gonna be real hard to find, earlier this year when we had a little more moisture I took several trips to saligman which is a hot P-dog area and only shot 1 to 2 a trip. since its been so dry I havent been back. maybe this fall will be better after the monsoons.

2 weeks ago a friend of mine went to wyoming for a P-dog hunt, he left with his AR and 2 cases of .223. when I saw him after he got back he had a S%#t eatin grin from ear to ear and said next time I have to go with him. he said he shot almost all his ammo and nailed atleast 500 p-dogs. I wish p-dog hunting in arizona was 1/3 that good. someday if we ever get out of this drought it will be just like wyoming here.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

on another note have you thought about coyotes? the populations are sky high I kill atleast 6 a month just in my front yard. they get into my chicken and herass my neighbors goats.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

Wow id love to live where the yotes were as thick as that we have them here in good numbers but not extremely high numbers.....
Old 06-18-2006, 02:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

for some reason the coyotes do really good even in real dry climate, they do have plenty to eat, small animals and birds weakened from dehydration is a good and easy food source for them also peoples trash. The coyotes also have no problem getting water like the smaller critters do, last week I caught one drinking from my neighbors above ground pool it climbed up the ladder and stuck its head in the pool and proceeded to drink from it. was pretty cool to watch but goes to show you how resourceful coyotes are and why they seem to thrive in the drought while other animals populations seem to deminish.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:26 AM

yes
Old 07-14-2006, 10:57 PM

Highdesertwolf,

I'm looking to come down and shoot some P-dogs this fall. Care to hook up for some shooting? I'm in Vegas.

Mike.