Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Do you hunt yotes all year???

Old 04-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you hunt yotes all year???

well do you??? i was thinking of hunting some yotes over the summer. i live in florida so they really don't get winter coats. would it matter if i shoot them this time of year??
Old 04-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you hunt yotes all year???

i have hunted them in the summer when they where bothering the cattle....i just usually stick to them in the winter though
Old 05-01-2006, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't hunt them in the summer. Predation isn't that big of a problem in my area, and I like the idea of giving them a chance of successfully raising a liter, and then I'll have more targets next winter!! NOW prairie dogs on the other hand, hear in about a month, will be high on my list!!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt them every chance I get.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Banned

Down there with no prime fur I would hunt them year 'round except pup suckling time.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

The extension service didsome studiesin my neck of the woods on coyotes. Their study indicated a person would have to kill 75% ofthe population for several consecutive years to effectivelycontrol the population. Anything less than 75%, and the survivors were able to make up the difference through increased litter size and higher survival rates from the decrease in competition.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Down there with no prime fur I would hunt them year 'round except pup suckling time.
when would that be???
Old 05-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Banned

Right now in IA pups are being weaned and starting to eat meat that the parent brings them. Pups are still too young to be make it on their own. I assume that that they have pretty much the same breeding down there.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

so would it be a good idea to wait a week or two before hunting them???
Old 05-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt them for both sport and predator control. When raising a litter, coyotes become a little more likely to try to make an easy meal off of livestock. So I don't let off of them. I just shift my hunting from open areas to closer to herds that will be calving. Seldom will a cow ever calve that a coyote isn't watching somewhere nearby for any sign of weakness.

Many of the coyote pups will not survive their first couple of months due to starvation. Even shooting the parents won't have much of an impact. That just frees up food to boost the survival rates of the others. So if you feel like hunting them, go for it. You will have no noticeable impact on the population.

Quick Reply: Do you hunt yotes all year???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.