Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

What load for my '06

Old 04-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What load for my '06

as you may know i'm going to be using my '06 for coyote hunting this coming weekend and i'm not sure what load to use... i have some 55gr accelerators, 165 gr soft points, and 180 gr corelocts. what do ya'll think would be best. the accelerators would most likely blow up and leave a huge hole. what do ya'll think???
Old 04-06-2006, 07:02 PM

Default RE: What load for my '06

First find out if full metal jackets are legal in your area. If they are you can use them. They're cheap army surplus and will leave a .30 hole on both sides of the coyote. The 55gr acceleraters should "blow-up" if they are indeed a varmint bullet and leave no exit hole, but if you get a long shot it may make it out. Your SP and corelokts are going to be the ones that ruin the hides at close ranges.

I'd personally go with the accelerators or FMJ if I felt they were safe and legal.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

the accelerators are just plain old soft points pushed at very high speeds. you don't think they would exit???
Old 04-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are you planning on full body mounts, or selling the pelts? If not, then why worry about the size of the exit wound? If it were me, I'd use whatever I planned to use for deer season in the fall. That way, you're getting live practice with yourdeer round, and you don't have to worry about re-sighting your scope each time you change your round. I've never used one, but I would bet that thoseacceleratorsWILL leave an exit wound on a yote.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Make sure the accelerators shoot accurately in your rifle. My experience with them in a 30-30 has been that they are innaccurate and start wobbling out of control after about 35-50 yards.

If you aren't keeping the hides, use the bullet that is the most accurate in your gun. If you plan on keeping the hides, the 180 gr. corelocts would be your best bet. They expand slow enough they pretty much pass through the coyote without blowing all to pieces, yet they do expand enough to get a good clean kill with any decent shot.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:18 AM

I would use the 180gr corelocts as in my experience they don’t open up very fast and that they exit before they get a chance to do any real damage.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would like to keep the pelts but it wouldn't be for a mount. i had thought that the corelocts would probably be my best bet. thats what i've been shooting as my deer round.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:45 PM

go with the 165grs. just from shooting soo many deer and the exit hole being minimal i'd have to say the 165.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:46 PM

and if you arent sure and are conserned about the exit go heavier than lighter. the heavier the bullet the less it will blow up.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

whatever you use for deer will also work fine on a yote. me personally its not worth the hassle figuring what shoots good to just a shoot a yote. if your deer round already shoots good just use it on yotes too. most bullets designed for deer wont expand well if not at all on a yote.

Quick Reply: What load for my '06

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.