Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 I have access to 600 acres of yote infested private land. Need advice >

I have access to 600 acres of yote infested private land. Need advice

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

I have access to 600 acres of yote infested private land. Need advice

Old 02-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default I have access to 600 acres of yote infested private land. Need advice

Today I was given permission to hunt on 600 acres of private land. It is infested with yotes and has plenty of deer. The farmer told me that I can come out any day of the year and kill all the yotes that I want. It’s about a 50 / 50 split between woods and fields.

I know that yotes move at night but I would like to hunt it during the morning and evenings. What method of calling them in during those hours work best?

Would tying a squirrel to a short piece of rope and dragging it behind me to a tree stand be a good idea? I’m thinking if I did that and then used a wounded animal call might bring them in and they would pick up the scent. I’m new at this and could use any advice I can get.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I have access to 600 acres of yote infested private land. Need advice

I'm not nearly as experienced as some of the other people on this forum, but I's just looks around previous posts, theres a lot of info in here.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:24 PM

Default RE: I have access to 600 acres of yote infested private land. Need advice

the squirrel and wounded animal call should work. alot of times i go to the local butcher or grocery store and get some scrap meat (kinda strange but it works. i then put that in a bucket and set my hunting boots in it. i got to the spot and change out of my shoes into my meat smelling boots and that leaves agood trail.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:00 PM

if u r on a coyote's land try barking andhowling for about 25 min. then wait about an hour and do a distress call... the coyote might not care if another yote is on it's land, but if u kill it's food... that's a different story greatest technique ever
Old 02-27-2006, 09:24 PM

Around this time of the year, try using female yelps and calls, to invite some of those burly males around that don't have a mate. Work your distress calls, and definately go with some challenge barks. If you have some pecking orders going through with the nomads of the dog chain, you will be surprised on the success rate of yotes coming in on a challenge bark set. Good luck, and remember, don't miss. Then those yotes will learn your ways.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:46 PM

My best advice would be to invite me down!! I could help you out with the new crossbow and we could both figure out how to yote hunt at the same time!!
Old 02-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

600 acres for coyotes isn't much and will be easy to over hunt it. Depending on on the land lays, you could do about 2, maybe upto 4 sets at the most and will have called the whole place. And as was said above, don't miss, because once they are called and shot at, they only get harder to call from then on!
Old 02-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advise guys. I'm heading there tomorrow after work to do some scouting. The only yote hunting I plan to do is with a crossbow. I don't wan't to mess the patterns of the deer up shooting a gun all season at yotes.Deer aregoing to be my primary focus this year on this peice of land.

There is a few guys that hunt it during the gun season but that's about it. My brother and I should have the place to ourselves during bow season which will be awsome. I have a spot at Dillion State Park picked out for gun season.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting a gun 7 months before deer season won't mess up the deer hunting! If the landowner wants the coyotes killed, I'd suggest carrying a rifle!
Old 02-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Use a gun. Don't worry about scaring deer, because even during deer season, the scare only lasts about 10 seconds. I shoot my .223 all the time, deer season or not, and have set up a range out in a wheat field. I have actually been setting down shooting targets and had deer come into the field, some less than 200 yards away. Guess that shows what kind of respect the deer have for my shooting.

Like everyone else has said, missing educates them, so don't miss. If you take a shot, make sure you are going to make the shot. Although it's still best to get them the first time, they are easier to call back in the second time if they didn't hear bullets whizzing by the first time.

I have done the same thing with rabbits, shooting a couple of rabbits and dragging them behind the 4 wheeler, then taking a rabbit with me and setting him up close by when I start calling. If I've got 4 or 5 rabbits, I will leave one at each set, so if something comes in to inspect the area after I leave, they find a rabbit and are none the wiser. I've had at least one coyote hang up on me the first time or two I called him in, only to come running the third time. I suspect he wouldcome in and inspect the area after I left, and he probably found the rabbit both times.

Quick Reply: I have access to 600 acres of yote infested private land. Need advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.