HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I have access to 600 acres of yote infested private land. Need advice
Old 02-28-2006, 10:17 PM
North Texan
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I have access to 600 acres of yote infested private land. Need advice

Use a gun. Don't worry about scaring deer, because even during deer season, the scare only lasts about 10 seconds. I shoot my .223 all the time, deer season or not, and have set up a range out in a wheat field. I have actually been setting down shooting targets and had deer come into the field, some less than 200 yards away. Guess that shows what kind of respect the deer have for my shooting.

Like everyone else has said, missing educates them, so don't miss. If you take a shot, make sure you are going to make the shot. Although it's still best to get them the first time, they are easier to call back in the second time if they didn't hear bullets whizzing by the first time.

I have done the same thing with rabbits, shooting a couple of rabbits and dragging them behind the 4 wheeler, then taking a rabbit with me and setting him up close by when I start calling. If I've got 4 or 5 rabbits, I will leave one at each set, so if something comes in to inspect the area after I leave, they find a rabbit and are none the wiser. I've had at least one coyote hang up on me the first time or two I called him in, only to come running the third time. I suspect he wouldcome in and inspect the area after I left, and he probably found the rabbit both times.