Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Calling in Bobcat

Old 02-06-2006, 09:10 AM

Default Calling in Bobcat

New to predator hunting. Bought a Johnny Stewart Digital caller with various soundcards. Do I need a pop up blind? Scent control? Calling techniques?

Any hints/tips would help! Thanks a lot!
Old 02-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Calling in Bobcat

no you dont need a pop up blind. just sit real still in cover. it take bobcats alot longer time to come in to the call than say a coyotes you have to go out there with the mind set of hunting only bobcats because they take alot longer than coyotes and fox to come in.but other than having to let the coyote/fox spook and waiting 45-hour. i hunt them pretty much the same as i would be for fox/coyote.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Cats tend to be more cautious then coyotes but they are much more curious. If you can get a rabbit decoy that moves, it will help. Expect the unexpected, quite often bobcats will climb a tree or a rock and check out the situation before committing and coming in. Many times like Mountain lions they see you long before you see them and slip away before you get a crack at them and other times they stay put for quite a while listening, so mix up your calling to entice them. Call longer at each site, up to an hour before giving up and moving on. Use a rabbit distress call and also try bird distress calls, like a woodpecker. Hope that helps, Jeff
Old 02-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cats are slower to come up, not so much out of caution, but just because they are fairly lazy. Coyotes will normally trot or run to the area of the call, where a cat just walks. Cats use their eyes more than a coyote, so motion concealment is a little more critical. Wind is not as important as it is to coyotes, but it is still important none the less.

I usually call in short bursts, maybe 15 to 20 seconds, then wait for a couple of minutes, maybe 5 minutes, then repeat. If you are after cats, expect to wait 30-45 minutes.

Cats are also fairly stupid. You can shoot one, and if another one jumps, you can call him back in. Like Hiker said, they are curious.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the help! I'll post pics if I bust something!
Old 02-08-2006, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I might add, is when you sit down in your calling spot, study your surroundings closely. One thing I've seen with cats, during day calling, is often times they will get where they can see you, and then they will sit. SO as your calling, look closely for a cat to just simply be sitting right where you looked last, like it wasn't there and now it is. They will just sit sometimes and not commit to come closer!
They don't always come slow. And I think they are bit a cautious, I've seen coyotes run them right out of a calling set! My buddy saw coyotes tree a bobcat, before they came on into the set andI saw two coyotes chase a cat that was coming in also!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:55 PM

The bobcat I called in 2 Weeks ago came in fairly quick and at 150 yds night timeI thru the light at him was by myself holding light and trying to soot at the same time! bam! he bobbed his head bam! he moved 4 yds left bam! he was dead! hard to aim light and gun at same time! few Weeks before that called in another with friend came close 30-40 yds not scared at all nothing like coyotes! just took 10 min. on and almost 20 min on another. be patient when hunting cats they dont come running!
I also start loud 1min. then turn down low.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:57 PM

Kinda like deer! Where did he come from!
ORIGINAL: Howler

One thing I might add, is when you sit down in your calling spot, study your surroundings closely. One thing I've seen with cats, during day calling, is often times they will get where they can see you, and then they will sit. SO as your calling, look closely for a cat to just simply be sitting right where you looked last, like it wasn't there and now it is. They will just sit sometimes and not commit to come closer!
They don't always come slow. And I think they are bit a cautious, I've seen coyotes run them right out of a calling set! My buddy saw coyotes tree a bobcat, before they came on into the set andI saw two coyotes chase a cat that was coming in also!