Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Red lights at night?

Old 02-05-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Red lights at night?

hey, i just picked up a 350 yard range red light for predator hunting at night, i was wondering the details on it,
-can they see it?
-how long should i keep it on?
-how effective are they?

any info will help, they only recently allowed us here in nj to hunt at night, they shoulda done it a long time ago cause the population is going crazy here now

Old 02-06-2006, 06:43 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Red lights at night?

-can they see it? supposedly not, some times they seem spooked, sometimes they don't.
-how long should i keep it on?long enough to take a shot
-how effective are they? very effective
Old 02-06-2006, 06:00 PM

thanks alot, keep the responses coming guys
tonight i tested it out, here in jersey u cant use scoped guns, just shotguns with open sights lol so i have to let it hand underneath the barrel
Old 02-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I usually keep the light running most of the time. If you don't, you may miss a coyote or fox. They can slip in and slip out quickly. I also try to shine the light high, so just enough of the light hits the terrain to make an eye shine if there is one. Then I keep the light high and track the eyes until I am ready to take the shot. Once ready for the shot, I hit it withenough lightto illuminate the target, varifty the target, and take the shot if everything else checks out. If your not 100% sure, pass on the shot, and hope the animal comes in for a closer look or let him walk. Keeping some goodbinoculars handy can help if something comes up your not sure about. It also makes sure your not pointing a gun at a non-target instead of looking through the scope of a loaded gun.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:36 PM

yeah that helps alot, thanks
i have a shotgun so anything that comes into the light close enough is easy to tell if it should be shot or not as far as waiting and as far as getting binoculars
thanks alot, keep it coming
still wierds me out as to how thye dont see it, i was in a blind tonight and sometimes the light owuld hit inside the blind, do they see this, i dont see how they cant, it was real bright even tho it was red light
Old 02-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some people say they can't see them, but I've seen lights spook them before. It would make sense to me if they spook from the light, they are obviously seeing something. I usually try to keep the light from hitting and reflecting much around me, if at all possible.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:20 PM

yeah good advice, thanks