Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

RED LENS?

Old 01-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RED LENS?

When predator hunting at nite, do you guys use a red lens on your hand held spotlight? Is the red lens really needed?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: RED LENS?

yes because predators are color blind to the red light, they are able to see a regular white light so the red light still allows their eyes to reflect without them knowing
Old 01-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought it would help but didn't know if it was really necessary. I have a 2 million candle powerhandheld spotlite, but it doesn't have the red lens. I guess I should try and find something to put over the lens to make the beam red.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a red lens and would recommend it for most spotlights. If you've got one that is 2 million CP, you may need to do some additional layering to cut down on the power some, or better yet, a smaller light. Most readily available spotlights are way too bright to be very useful for coyote hunting. I've got a 500,000 CP light right now, and am still trying to figure out how to cut it down some. About 100,000 to 200,000 CP is ideal. I notice even with my 500,000 CP and a red lens, they still become a little leary. They are hunted pretty hard around here and are extremely light shy. Sometimes I flip off the spotlight and then just use an LED flashlight (no red lens) to try and keep them moving in for a shot.

As for using any light, don't shine directly on anything. As soon as you see a coyote, move your light so that the coyote is just barely in the fringe, with most of the beam passing over its head or to its side. This will keep even call and light shy coyotes comfortable enough to come on in and investigate.

I think Brinkman makes a Q-Beam varmint special that's about 200,000 CP with a hood and red lens. Had I done a little more research before getting the light I have now, I would have gotten one of these. So anybody out here reading up on the sport of coyote hunting and what equipment you need, keep this in mind.