Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Night hunting for yotes

Old 01-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Night hunting for yotes

Hey guys Im just starting to get into hunting for yotes. I live in WV where its legal to hunt them at night. My bud and I are reading as much as possible and going to try and tackle this. We have deer hunted for years but havent had the yote #'s here until recently to try hunting them. I did some scouting a found what Im pretty sure is yote scat. I have property the ajoins a 25,000 acre public hunting area and have about a 10 acre mowed field on my property that we will be setting up in to start.

My 1st question is should we go electronic or use regular callers? I read to start out very low and then call louder. Also should we set up at the edge of the woods or in the middle of the field? I guess to go with normal scent eliminator like deer hunting and we have a mid-powered red lens for the spotlight.

Any advice would be great. I apologize if these are dumb questions, Also would you recommend any other forums or sites. I read alot of day hunting stuff but am still looking for more night info. thx in advance.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:31 PM

Default RE: Night hunting for yotes

If you can use a hand call fairly well that is what i would use because you can make any sound imaginable or if you want to shell out a couple of hundred bucks for a electronic caller I would recommend the foxpro because from what I have heard it sounds like a excellent device. You should set up at the edge of the woods so you can see the whole field and blend in better instead of sittin in the middle and having to move constantly to see around you. Make sure to put some duct tape around the edge of the lense so no regular light seeps out and when shining them always shine them with the bottom or top halo of the light and never directly on and yotes eyes will shine a red color.
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN
Old 01-25-2006, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would start out with a hand call or squeaker very soft a quiet. (calls in them close.) Then try louder and get loud to see if you can call them from a distant.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Spike

I would use a hand caller if you know how to work one but the electronic calls are effective if loud enough. In my perspective using a rabbit distress call, start out loud like the rabbit just got hurt and after about 5 to 10 min gradually get softer making it seem as though the rabbit is slowly dying. This technique has proven to be very effective for me it really brings the yotes in fastlook at my coyote pics in this forum. If it was me I would sit in the middle of the field so I could watch the whole tree line sooner or later the coyoteis going to have to come out of the trees and come investigate but if you are sitting on the tree line the yote can stay in the timber the whole time and get pretty close to investigate and you wont even know he is there.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

THx for the info. We put together an E-caller but will start using a hand\mouth type lke you sugested. I think we are going to try the middle of the field. I know they can see us better then in the woods but I thought they may circle around in the woods on us.

The one thing Im not sure of is how long and what intervals to call. If we call and dont see anything for 10mins or so should we pack up or wait for so long then call again. Again thx for the info.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

u got aol shoot me a pm with it ill tell ya all about huntin