Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

FoxPro Review

Old 01-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default FoxPro Review

I got a new FoxPro FX3 over the holidays. I didn't get a chance to hunt with it Christmas day, but I did test it out a little bit. First off, the unit looks and feels very well made. The remote also feels very well made. The buttons are easy to read and reach. I tested it for distance, and the remote performed well. So Dec. 26, I took it out that morning to give it a go. I had called this area before, but with limited visibility and shooting lanes, I hadn't had much luck. I knew the coyotes were there, I just couldn't seem to keep them from winding me. It was about 9:00 in the morning, with a slight southwest breeze. A creek with a lot of oaks stretched across the west, meandering its way to the southeast. There was an old deer stand slightly to the northwest of an old stock tank, but east of the creek. I placed the call about 75 yards south southwest of the stand, hoping the coyotes would come around the south edge of the stock tank and into the opening. I began with a woodpecker in distress. In about 3 to 4 minutes, two coyotes came straight in from the south. They were moving quick enough and through enough brush I couldn't get a shot off. They circled to the west, then back to the east, but they would never stop in a shooting lane. Then they quit circling. I changed to a fox and woodpecker, then they began circling again. After they made about two more circles, one stepped into a shooting lane, and I switched to a howl. He stopped, and began staring at the caller. There was enough gap between the weeds and the brush I could see the top of his chest and his head. I had resisted shooting earlier because I would rather not shoot and not educate than miss. I decided this would be my best chance to get off a shot, and I found my mark. Iimmediately began playing thewounded coyote, and the otherone panicked and begancircling. However, I nevercould get ashot.

The coyote was a fairly big male, maybe 35 to 40 pounds, with a very good coat of fur for these parts. Here are some pics:

This is the coyote, along with the gun (Browning .223), caller, and 4-wheeler. Notice, no exit wound, and not even a noticeable entrance wound.

Here is looking from about where the coyote stood to the stand. However, I did take a step or two forward to get out of the brush enough to get a better view.

First setup and a kill. I did call in a few more places, but didn't get anything else up.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fox Pro Review

awesome dude, is the fox pro loud and how many calls does it come with. thinking of getting one maybe next year.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ithas plenty of volumeand it comes with 32 different sounds. It costs some serious $$$, but hopefully it is worth it.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Spike

It is a nice unit the (( FoxPro FX3 )) but its not worth $500.00 bucks so I went with Extreme Dimension pro series with remote for $300.00 with shipping it sound really nice too a friend has the foxpro fx3 it sound really sweet too but for $500.00 it better happy hunting with it...

Old 01-26-2006, 02:24 PM

n-tex
where bouts you live? I am in the Tex panhandle and have called off and on for 20 years, but always used a mouth call with limited succes.
I just got $1000 in bass pro shop coupons as a safety incentive from my company and am seriously considering the fox pro unit. going to OKC this wekend to look and see what all I can come up with.

might need a new gun too..... lol
Old 01-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Born and raised in Woodson, Texas. But nowI live, work and go to school in Lubbock.

From what I can tell so far, the real value of the unit is for areas that are brushy and there are a lot of obstructions around where you are planning on calling. In calling in this coyote, I was in an area where I saw lots of sign but had always had tough luck. With any wind at all, they could smell me long before I saw them. With a remote unit, I can move crosswind and hide in brush and other obstructions without having to worry about visibility, because the animal is homing in on theFoxPro and not me. And with a mouth call, downwind where my sound travels the best is also where my scent travels, limiting where I could call by which direction the wind was blowing. The FoxPromakes wind direction a lot less of an issue.

As for country that is more open with decent visibility, I don't know that there is much advantage over mouth calls, because I can see the coyote and shoot before he gets much of an opportunity to investigate. However, I can probably get away with more movement since the coyotes aren't looking directly at me.

Good luck and good hunting.....at the Bass Pro.